News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110: Other party hears statics in GV call

Started by tavie888, October 06, 2012, 05:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tavie888

Hi,

I just updated to the latest firmware 1.3.0 Build 2744.  Yesterday I made a local call to a neighbour via Google Voice (GV) and she said she heard statics on the line.  Switched to voip.ms then the line had fewer statics.

Today I assigned a static IP to the OBi110 unit, then made a speed test.  Test results are:

Ping: 42 ms
download: 16.90 Mbps
upload: 0.50 Mbps

I subscribe to a 18 Mbps down/512 Kbps up standard cable plan.  I set up my router to give voip the highest priority, and I don't do any gaming or torrenting.

After the above speedtest, I made another call to another neighbour using GV.  He said he hears statics on the line.

I would appreciate your help with ideas or suggestions to get rid of statics.

QBZappy

Quote from: tavie888 on October 06, 2012, 05:43:39 PM
Today I assigned static to the OBi110 unit

Why did you deliberately put static to your OBi?  ;D ;D ;D :Sometimes I crack myself up
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Rick

Quote from: QBZappy on October 06, 2012, 05:58:42 PM
Quote from: tavie888 on October 06, 2012, 05:43:39 PM
Today I assigned static to the OBi110 unit

Why did you deliberately put static to your OBi?  ;D ;D ;D :Sometimes I crack myself up

This is a prime example of why we should be allowed to rate posts...   :D

Ostracus

Heh, he's an AM kind of guy. To the OP you may have a line quality issue. There are online testing sites that'll help you get some numbers, also you can look at the numbers your Obi provides (under 'status') during a call.

CoalMinerRetired

Take the 'divide and conquer' approach to troubleshooting: Eliminate one part of the whole system, and if the issue goes away it's in the part eliminated. 

Disconnect your Obi, and make a call via Gmail Chat from your computer's browser to the same number where the called party hears static. If the called party still hears static, you can rule out the Obi device and the analog handset. It the called party does not hear static, suspect the Obi device or the analog phone handset.  If yo narrow it down to the Obi device, post back here.

Alternative approach, see this: http://www.voipmechanic.com/voip-top-5-complaints.htm#PROBLEM%205:%20I%20hear%20static.

tfromtosa

I have the same issue as tavie888. Setup system 2 months ago. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to the latest firmware. The other party hears static. Is there a way to backout the firmware to the previous version? Has anyone had this same issue?

Thanks
TfromTosa