News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do i allow trusted callers to get to AA when OBI100 is set to forward calls

Started by JosephM, October 13, 2012, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JosephM

I recently set  my OBI100 to forward calls (*72) to my cell phone which i deselected from ringing on google voice so i could receive my calls from the OBI  while i am away and know it was from the OBI by the callerID. That works fine as expected for all callers except  trusted callers who are then no longer routed to the AA nor forwarded to me but rather just ring the obo hardphone.   Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks Joseph

jimates

JosephM

Jim,

Thanks so much for the links. I see from them that it has been a problem for some time for others and applies to both 'call forwarding' and 'do not disturb'.  I was trying to avoid the callers id from being passed through and whether i did it from Google voice by setting under calls, the box  to use my voice number or by using OBI's call forwarding to do it i noticed i lost all ability to contact AA with any of my trusted caller phones and of course my own cell.

Thanks for taking the time to assemble the info links,
Joseph

JosephM

What i was trying to do was always have my Google number as caller id  on both incoming and outgoing ( a friends and family number) without preventing a couple trusted callers from using my Google voice since there is no one at my home for the winter.

I was finally able to accomplish that without using the obi100 to do it. I set the Google voice to display my Google number and forward calls to my cell. Then for calling out from my cell,  Google voice sees my cell phone is not available to forward (since i'm calling on it) so it takes me right to voice-mail where i can use GV * PIN and option 2 to make (bridge) the free call. ( This can be programmed in a cell phone for common numbers called a lot to make it automatic)  My cell provider shows both in and out calls to and from my GV number which is listed as Friends and family and does not use my minutes. My Google Chat phone is set in the caller groups section not to be called so it doesn't interfere and that is why i go directly to voice-mail. When somebody else call me they get forwarded to my cell phone from Google voice and don't ring my OBi100 connected phone.

Now the kicker.... for my trusted callers, i made a special group in Google voice for "trusted callers". When they call none of the forward phones are checked in that group. Therefore they go to Google voice mail directly to a specially created recording for trusted callers. This message tells them to depress * during the recording they are listening to for other options unless they just want to leave a message. If they depress * and enter the pin they can now use my Google voice to make the call.  My OBI100 phone will still make outgoing calls directly using my Google number as an ID.

WHEN I AM BACK IN TOWN I CAN ALWAYS CHANGE MY OPTIONS TO SOMETHING MORE APPROPRIATE. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE LOOKING TO DO THE SAME.
Joseph