News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone today

Started by Rick, October 26, 2012, 08:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Went to use my phone today.  No dial tone.  Phone display did not indicate "No Line".  OBI 110 showed "Connected" to GV and "Registered" with Callcentric.  Rebooted device through direct interface, no change.  Pulled plug, put it back in, got dialtone.  I updated to 2744 right after.

Anyone else have an issue today?

ProfTech

I think the 110 always gives dial tone, even with nothing connected to it other than the telephone itself. So it would seem to me the Obi was in some kind of weird state alright. I haven't had a problem. If it happens again you may want to check the UpTime on the status screen before unplugging it. It may have crashed prior to you picking up and listening for dial tone and didn't boot back up correctly.

Hortoristic

Disable your CC SP, reboot then retry.  CC causing many folks to reboot or not work.

If you are using CC just for incomming, change your DID forwarding to 19142961xxx@yourdomain.com:5061 to eliminate needing a configured SP - this also got rid of the CC instabilities for me.

Rick

No dial tone again this morning.  Shows connected on both SP1 and SP2, no message on screen.  Uptime shows it rebooted around 3AM EST. 

I changed Callcentric back to the original settings, we'll see if that does it.  If not, I plan on finding another option, I can't do business with someone this undependable for my E911 service.

MikeHObi

Make sure you keep clear what is going on here.  No dial done is a obi problem.  reboots are an obi problem.  That a sip provider behavior can cause these issues is something Obi needs to work on.

Hopefully callcentric will work things out and become reliable.  for incoming cname plus 911, their free did numbers are still one of the best deals out there.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Rick

Quote from: MikeHObi on October 27, 2012, 06:39:15 AM
Make sure you keep clear what is going on here.  No dial done is a obi problem.  reboots are an obi problem.  That a sip provider behavior can cause these issues is something Obi needs to work on.

Hopefully callcentric will work things out and become reliable.  for incoming cname plus 911, their free did numbers are still one of the best deals out there.

I agree that it's an OBi failing.  As I've said before, after having this device for 10 months, and having no need of any capability except using GoogleVoice, I would not recommend it for those that are uncomfortable with service that can come and go, or those that don't want to hack around and fix things.  In other words, this box is not ready for general sale to consumers in a retail store.  It has issues, including a lack of strong OBi presence on these forums, that have yet to be resolved.  This will turn into a box resold by SIP providers.

ProfTech

I won't deny that VOIP in general is probably not for the faint of heart. I own the 110 and have my ATT land line attached and used daily for local [free] calls but use VOIP for all of my long distance calling. That said, did you use the portal to configure your device or do-it-yourself? Either way, if you are in the US you should be able to make it work. Until Obi releases new firmware, two settings may be critical. First-Make sure you are getting at least rudimentary DNS name resolution by checking the status screen. If it shows your unit is trying to register to "0.0.0.0", change DNS 1 in the Network screen to 216.254.95.2. Leave DNS 2 blank. Second, in the SIP screen, make sure X_ProxyServerRedundancy is not check marked. This is contrary to the Callcentric instructions but may be required until Obi makes their change(s). If you used the portal to set it up you will need to enter the expert mode to check these settings and make the changes. Make sure BOTH the "ObiTalk" AND "Default" boxes are not checked. Then UNcheck the redundancy line and save.

Not guaranteeing these two things will fix your issue but you should give it a try.

jimates

Rick,

This is precisely the problem I had with my Obi202. Everything went to shit when I reconfigured CC, in hopes that it was fixed.

No dial tone and no response when I tried to fix it. I could not get it to reset either. I finally did get it to reset and now it is working again.

a connected status at Obitalk is meaningless.
(keep in mind that this is no indication of the status of your device. This is more what the status was at the time of the last communication between the device and Obitalk.)

Rick

Just got back from running some errands.  Box rebooted 50 minutes ago..  I do have a dial tone though.

I made the change to uncheck the box, we'll see how that goes.

Jimates - I found Rebooting did nothing.  I had to pull the plug to get it to work this morning.

MikeHObi

I haven't seen the wiring diagram for the obi but I will assume there are some components inside that require a power cycle to fully reset.  In particular any relay used to apply power to the phone lines.  As such, the first time you see an issue with lack of dial tone, cycling the power on the Obi seems like a wise first choice.

I've never had that issue on my 202, where dial tone was gone.  Since nearly any electronic device can have a bad egg, I wouldn't write off all Obi's just because one is a pain. 

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

jimates

Quote from: Rick on October 27, 2012, 09:59:59 AM
Just got back from running some errands.  Box rebooted 50 minutes ago..  I do have a dial tone though.

I made the change to uncheck the box, we'll see how that goes.

Jimates - I found Rebooting did nothing.  I had to pull the plug to get it to work this morning.
Sorry, I misspoke, I meant to say reset. Since the only way for me to communicate with the device was from the phone port I did reboot several times without any help. I had to resort to resetting to factory. And that took some time to finally get the box to respond and reset.

Rick

Both yesterday and today I had a dial tone in the morning.  Box has been up for 1 day, 19:42 hours, i.e. since I made the changes on Saturday.  So it looks like for now things are fine.

However, they are not.  Despite having a dial tone today, I can't make any calls, even on GV.  I rebooted via the expert interface, made no difference. I again had to unplug the OBi and plug it back in.

I'm opening a trouble ticket with OBi - they must resolve this ASAP.

Rick

OBi responded to my trouble ticket minutes ago, telling me that they had updated my firmware to one more stable for the issue.  I have 2758 now.