News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Poll GV for voicemail, then flip MWI (message waiting indicator)

Started by electriccat, March 14, 2011, 09:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electriccat

Should be fairly simple, I think there is a "new voice message" procedure in GV's current "API".  Either that or allow cron jobs on obi.  The best would be allowing root access SSH  ;)

QBZappy

Hi,

Anybody been successful at getting inside the OBi box yet?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

obi-support2

GV/MWI feature is added in release 1.2, which will be available to everyone in 1-2 weeks.
OBIHAI Support Staff

electriccat

electriccat

also, it would be nice if obi is opened up a bit.  Since it's always on anyways, why not add a usb port for network storage...etc or run user code, a obi "app" so to speak.

srhuston

Quote from: obi-support2 on March 18, 2011, 11:33:02 AM
GV/MWI feature is added in release 1.2, which will be available to everyone in 1-2 weeks.

How will this be presented?  I admit I'm quite ignorant of how the MWI is picked up by things like our standalone CallerID box with a green light on it (I just know it worked years ago when we subscribed to Verizon's voicemail service).  That also used to stutter the dial tone, which it seems the OBi110 is capable of doing - I've seen the settings in the menus for it - but will it do this for both SPs?  How would one know which SP is "stuttering" for attention?  Or would it only handle the default SP?

Not like I don't have enough ways to know when I've got a new GV message, but if someone authoritatively answers it'll save me from experimenting after I install the update out of sheer curiosity :>

jimates

How often does the Obi check for messages.

It will give the MWI and stutter tone for anything in your inbox, Voicemail or SMS. I have my GV set to put missed calls in my inbox so I get the MWI for missed calls also.

My Obi picked up a missed call within 2 minutes.

obi-support2

MWI is presented as stuttered dial tone and/or message waiting lamp on a compatible telephone.

Since GV don't really have an API to support MWI, the current method is only through
periodic polling. For this we use a simple backoff strategy, try to balance between
bandwidth consumption and responsiveness of the MWI. I would just say it's not as
robust as a qualified SIP-based ITSP in this aspect.

Based on your feedback we will try to improve the algorithm over time.
Ideally, eventually, GV would have a more real-time VM notification mechanism to support
devices like ours. For now this is all we can offer.

OBIHAI Support Staff

QBZappy

electriccat,

Quote from: electriccat on March 14, 2011, 09:07:14 PM
Should be fairly simple, I think there is a "new voice message" procedure in GV's current "API".  Either that or allow cron jobs on obi.  The best would be allowing root access SSH  ;)

Hi

Is there anything you can dig up on the API?

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MichiganTelephone

Here is a Google-Voice-PHP-API but whether it does anything even the slightest bit useful for what you guys are discussing is something I couldn't say.  Also you may find this thread interesting.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

electriccat

GV's "API" (just URL's & cookies) is just another way to do session-initiation-termination.  Which they are probably moving toward SIP anyways.  if U want to know the details, just grab a hub+wireshark for ur obi.

electriccat

work as advertised with the new firmware update. good job