News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connecting Obi110 Lan to laptop directly? Would this improve speed?

Started by Ideasmiths, October 23, 2012, 06:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideasmiths

Hope someone with networking knowledge can shed some light. I googled and search obitalk forum and was unable to find similar informaiton.

I have been using 2xObi110 for some time now, one in the office and one at home. My primary use is to use ObiTalk+ObiApp+PSTN line+Softphone to make calls through the PSTN line. I do not use any VOIP services.

I assume that when I make a call, the traffic is

voice via laptop microphone->obiApp->ObiTalk/router->obi110->Line port->PSTN service

I was wondering if I take away all the middleware and connect the Obi110 directly to the lan port of my laptop and bridge the Lan and wireless adapter, would this speed up the data transmission (eg G711u)?

So ideally, the shortest route will be
voice via laptop microphone->Obi110->line port->PSTN service

if the above route works, wouldn't it eliminate packet lost/out of sequence and network congestion of the router beccause now the data is transmitted 'internally' from laptop to obi110?

jimates

the call route will not change.

Obion only communicates with the Obi via Obitalk Service

If you are successful in connecting the Obi to the internet connected directly to the laptop, you may be able to communicate from the laptop to one of the Obi's SP services configured as sip uri. I feel sure the route is going to be about the same.