News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Non Gmail address

Started by charmlt, October 19, 2012, 07:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charmlt

Tech support did not answer my question. Do I have to use a gmail address when setting up the Google Voice acct?

1. I have port forwarded my business number to Google Voice.
2. My Google Voice is created around my special e-mail address from my server that reflects the phone number in the description, something I could not do with a gmail acct.
3. OBihai tells me it is "Backing Off" when I try to connect. It works fine when I use a different Gmail acct. that has an actual Gmail e-mail address.
4. I can NOT port forward my phone number again to a different gmail acct, Google Voice tells me that it can not port forward from that carrier... GOOGLE VOICE?!?

Is the problem that I have not used a Gmail e-mail address in my GV account?

Is there any work around to solve this problem?

Mark

QBZappy

charmlt,

Welcome.

The simplest way is to use a gmail acct. What other email address did you associate the GV acct to.
eg: Name@gmail.com
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

do you have your domain registered with google?

Typically a non gmail address (yahoo etc) gives problems. But if you have your own domain and you register it with google you don't have any problems.

charmlt

domain registered with google?

I don't know. I spend about $700 a month advertising a website on my server. It is leased with OLM. How do I register my Domain with google to make OBi not "Back Off"?
GV forwards my calls to my Vonage router right now.

Thanks for getting back with me, I really want to make this work.

Mark

charmlt

AH HA! This worked!

Google will allow you to transfer your non-gmail account to another account. A valid gmail account in this case. Use google Chrome to access the link here: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/account/transfer

I needed to bounce the problem and get some keywords you used when you replied to my problem. It was a need to talk about it and have an expert response. Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Mark Young

jimates

great, glad you got it worked out. It is very convenient now that google does the transfer immediately. Before you had to submit a request and wait a couple days.

spotfly

My OBi died. I'm waiting for the replacement.

I can not log into the forum with my charmlt account even though I am allready loged in. I swear! It says; "Login or Registar" while I am loged in as charmlt. I had to make another acct.

I found out something interesting, I port forwarded my business line to my Verizon cell phone awhile back before I started this, I had no problem forwarding it to GV. I can not forward my other lines to my GV because they are not cell phones. What does that got to do with it???

QBZappy

Quote from: spotfly on October 26, 2012, 12:24:56 PM
I can not log into the forum with my charmlt account even though I am allready loged in. I swear! It says; "Login or Registar" while I am loged in as charmlt. I had to make another acct.

Funny the same thing happened this week with someone else I know who was trying to log into the forum.

Quote from: spotfly on October 26, 2012, 12:24:56 PM
I found out something interesting, I port forwarded my business line to my Verizon cell phone awhile back before I started this, I had no problem forwarding it to GV. I can not forward my other lines to my GV because they are not cell phones. What does that got to do with it???

That seems to be one of the quirks of GV. One of the most read threads,    
Number porting to GV - my experience http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1051.0 , explains just that. Porting to GV has to pass thru a cell carrier. POTS->Cell->GV. Who knows why.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.