News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call-Waiting Caller ID Shows Intermittently

Started by Jenn, November 01, 2012, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenn

Hello,

Is/are there settings I can change on the ObiHai 202 to have the call-waiting caller ID show consistently each and every time a call-waiting call comes in?

The call-waiting caller ID is currently appearing intermittently (sometimes it shows the number of the caller, sometimes nothing appears at all).

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

CoalMinerRetired

Maybe I'm asking the obvious, are you certain the incoming Call Waiting call has a Caller ID and is not blank?

You can determine this from the Status > Call History in the device. If the Caller ID is blank, you'll see this on incoming calls (incoming = left hand column):
From GT1()
If a Caller ID came through with the call, you will see this:
From GT1(12015551212)

Jenn

Hello CoalMinerRetired,

Yes, the incoming calls do have caller IDs. I am sure because:

1. I have tested this with my other phones I own.
2. I have verified that they appear in the 'Status' > 'Call History' section.

Jenn

CoalMinerRetired

So, you know your handset supports CWCID (Call Waiting Caller ID).  

That being the case, here are a few settings you can look at:
CallWaitingCallerIDEnable,  set to enabled
CallerIDDetectMethod,  set to default, assuming you are in the US or Canada
CallerIDMethod,  set to default, assuming you are in the US or Canada
CallerIDTrigger, set to default, After First Ring, assuming you are in the US or Canada.
You'll find a reference to these here, search for each one by the above names.

The last setting in the list only applies to the first (on-hook) caller ID, not the CWCID. But check in any case.

Jenn

Yes, the equipment are call-waiting caller ID compaitble and I am in the U.S.

I have checked the settings you had referred to and they are all on default.

I have tried the different settings for 'CallerIDTrigger' and the only one that works is the default it had always been on; 'Show on First Ring'.

Again, here are the settings:

CallerIDMethod = FSK(Bell202)
CallerIDTrigger = After First Ring
CallerIDEnable = Enabled/Checked
CallWaitingCallerIDEnable = Enabled/Checked

Jenn

CoalMinerRetired

Up above you said "...have tested this with my other phones I own."  So at this point all I can think of is try a different handset, or better yet get a Y connector and plug in two handsets and see if they both behave the same way.

P.S: Is this phone port 1 or 2?  I'm asking because port 1 on an Obi202 is actually setup for two lines, if you plug a two line phone cord and a two line handset into it, you get both both lines 1 and 2 through one port and one cable. I've noticed some occasional odd behaviors doing this (one or twice the wrong line gets the Caller ID or the VMWI signal), and I know it's not the two-line handset because that worked flawlessly for ten years with two lines when plugged into the PSTN (Verizon.)

Jenn

The phones are currently on Port 1. I have even swapped ports but they do not seem to make a difference here for this particular issue. Also, these phones have worked perfectly on the Verizon PSTN systems you were referring to.

I've done a lot more testing and I discovered that the phone on the longer telephone cable suffers from this. The phones on the shorter cable do not seem to have a problem. (I have actually been using the Y-adapter / Y-splitter setup all this time.)

CoalMinerRetired

I'm out of ideas. However I will like to know what the cause was once you finally solve it, please close the loop and reply again when you fix it.