News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call quality problems with the Obi202

Started by JohnBowler, October 27, 2012, 05:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBowler

I've been using the 202 for several months now, it is both my internet gateway and the device that connects my wired home telephones to my VOIP provider (voip.ms).

However, I have been receiving complaints from my wife.  I almost always use Blink on my desktop computer to make telephone calls - I've tweaked the Obi settings from the default so that the Obi doesn't assign no-voip priority to voip calls from the LAN.  I don't have any problems that I can't reliably trace back to my ISP.

My wife, however, does.  Not only that, but my mother (who she calls) asked her why she doesn't use the computer like I do - that's proof (my mother is not computer literate) that the Blink->voip.ms connection is working fine but the PBX->Obi->voip.ms connection is not.

I'm starting to think that the Obi202 can't walk and chew gum at the same time; the overhead of handling the D->A convertion from the PBX while making a telephone call is just too much.  That doesn't make much sense computationally, it is well within the power of the CPU, but I suspect all the PBX stuff goes through obiapp whereas the Blink communication merely relies on the Linux kernel getting things right ;-)

So should I retire the Obi202 from its gateway role and just have it doing the PBX?  I need the Obi for the PBX hardware, but I hardly need it as a gateway - I just did it that way to make it most likely that the PBX->D2A->IP->voip.ms route would work best.  Maybe I was wrong.

Bear in mind that most of my evidence is several levels removed from the problem - the issue here is that there is final proof that the Obi PBX route is broken while the Blink route is not.

John Bowler jbowler 2 acm.org