News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voicemail cuts off message at 21 seconds

Started by PSU77, November 14, 2012, 03:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSU77

I recently installed Obi110 with incoming calls being routed from the land line to GV1 (through GV2).  Everything works great but I noticed that my Google voice mail incoming message always cuts off at 21 seconds.  How can I extend that?

Rick

Quote from: PSU77 on November 14, 2012, 03:53:17 PM
I recently installed Obi110 with incoming calls being routed from the land line to GV1 (through GV2).  Everything works great but I noticed that my Google voice mail incoming message always cuts off at 21 seconds.  How can I extend that?

Assuming you mean the greeting that people calling your number receive from GV if the phone is not answered, have you:

1) Verified it's length by playing it on the GV page www.google.com/voice and click on Settings, then Voicemail and Text.  Is it actually longer than 21 seconds?

2) If yes to #1 above, call your GV number from a phone other than one listed in your GV account (or block the callerid when you call) and see how long it is that way.

If things are working as they should, your OBi should ring for approximately 25 seconds before the GV voicemail greeting is heard, and the greeting I believe can be up to 1 minute, although that would be very annoying for a caller.  FYI, mine is 12 seconds or so for both my GV numbers.

PSU77

No I meant the message left by the caller.   It cuts off their message after 21 seconds.

Rick

1) Unplug your OBi.  Call that GV number directly.  Leave a message, timing it.  It should be up to 3 minutes.

2) Plug your OBi back in.  After it's done booting, call that GV number directly.  Leave a message, timing it.  It should be up to 3 minutes.

If both of those work fine, then call you landline number and let it go through the forwarding setup you have (landline to GV to GV).  If, when you go to leave a message you get cut off at 21 seconds, it's something to do with your unusual setup.

PSU77

I did as you suggested.  It recorded 3 minutes when I disconnected the Obi and called GV1 directly.  After it rebooted I called directly to GV1 but it cut off after 21 seconds.  

Let me mention that I have it set up if someone calls GV1 that it rings my home phone too {which is connected to the obi110}

Rick

Quote from: PSU77 on November 15, 2012, 06:18:51 PM
I did as you suggested.  It recorded 3 minutes when I disconnected the Obi and called GV1 directly.  After it rebooted I called directly to GV1 but it cut off after 21 seconds.  

Let me mention that I have it set up if someone calls GV1 that it rings my home phone too {which is connected to the obi110}

So your issue is with your setup of GV #1 forwarding to GV #2...  I'd recommend removing all that fowarding and thinking through what you're trying to achieve and how it was setup.  Then, if you can, put it in a step at a time and then test that step, to see where the problem is.

I have a hunch that it's related to Google's voicemail function picking up after 25 seconds.  No idea how, but suspect that with all your forwarding gyrations that somehow that timer is shutting things off.

PSU77

Yea, I think you are right.  If you include my outgoing message the total time is 25 seconds.   Unfortunately this set up is exactly how I need it.     I can live with it.  Thanks for the advice