News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Talking Thermostat

Started by Howard687, October 30, 2012, 08:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard687

First, I am new to OBI.  I tried different searches but could not find anything that addressed my question.  I have a thermostat (could be any device) that is connected to my home phone wiring.  By dialing the home phone#, letting the phone ring 3 time, hanging up,and then dialing again, the thermostat answers on the 4th ring.  I can then remotely change temperature settings, etc.

Is there a way to enable that device (thermostat) with OBI?  Note:  It would not be easy to run a telephone line from the thermostat to the OBI. I also realize that I could convert to an internet controlled thermostat but wanted to first determine if I can use what I have.

thanks in advance

Rick

Quote from: Howard687 on October 30, 2012, 08:42:29 AM
First, I am new to OBI.  I tried different searches but could not find anything that addressed my question.  I have a thermostat (could be any device) that is connected to my home phone wiring.  By dialing the home phone#, letting the phone ring 3 time, hanging up,and then dialing again, the thermostat answers on the 4th ring.  I can then remotely change temperature settings, etc.

Is there a way to enable that device (thermostat) with OBI?  Note:  It would not be easy to run a telephone line from the thermostat to the OBI. I also realize that I could convert to an internet controlled thermostat but wanted to first determine if I can use what I have.

thanks in advance

Maybe I am missing something, but the OBi devices are designed to connect to your home phone wiring and provide phone service to all your outlets, which would include the thermostat that is connected to the home phone wiring...  If not, please explain which model OBi you have and how you connected it to your phone system, and if you've disconnected your POTS service.

jimates

if it works without the Obi, I see no reason for it not to work with the Obi. Even if you connect our home wiring through the Obi, it still passes the ring to whatever is connected to the home wiring.