News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best, safest way to get E911 on Obi 100?

Started by aopisa, October 30, 2012, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aopisa

I know this subject has been covered quite a few times here, but I am really confused about this topic.

I have read dozens of posts on setting up E911 on the Obi. What I am looking for is the best and safest way to do this for a person that is not a phone tech. Nothing I have read yet in my research seems to be definitive on this subject. I am not looking for a free solution. I don't mind paying something for what could amount to a life or death situation. I was all set to go with CallCentric, but look what happened to them in the wake of Sandy. They are down and out for who knows how long.

I am sitting here with my Obi 100 ready to pull the plug on Comcast, but not if it means that I or my kids can't reach emergency services without a good degree of certainty.

Thank you.

Rick

While you're doing your research, you can utilize direct dial to your 911 dispatch center, which can be programmed into the OBi.  Upside, you get 911 and cut the Comcast cord.  Downside, it's 911, not E911.

CoalMinerRetired

Any E911 feature is going to cost something, in the $0.89 to $1.99 per mo month range, this is on top of any per line/per month charges. This is so because providers of the service, evidently including VoIP providers, collect a fee mandated by the FCC to fund the entire 911/E911 program in every county, city, township, across the country.

Plain old 911 can be setup at no cost, note without the "E," provided: 1) Your PSAP has a seven digit or nine digit number that is answered as the equivalent to 911, and 2) you can configure your Obi to dial the seven or nine digit number when you dial 911. # 2) is easy to do and easy to test, multiple discussions on here of how to do it.

One more thing to consider. The next version of E911 is NG911 (Next Generation 9-1-1), it will incorporate the use of text, images, video (upload and link to YouTube?) and data.  I'll guess the fee is not going away and if anything will increase.

jimates

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 30, 2012, 04:29:44 PM
Any E911 feature is going to cost something, in the $0.89 to $1.99 per mo month range, this is on top of any per line/per month charges. This is so because providers of the service, evidently including VoIP providers, collect a fee mandated by the FCC to fund the entire 911/E911 program in every county, city, township, across the country.

Plain old 911 can be setup at no cost, note without the "E," provided: 1) Your PSAP has a seven digit or nine digit number that is answered as the equivalent to 911, and 2) you can configure your Obi to dial the seven or nine digit number when you dial 911. # 2) is easy to do and easy to test, multiple discussions on here of how to do it.

One more thing to consider. The next version of E911 is NG911 (Next Generation 9-1-1), it will incorporate the use of text, images, video (upload and link to YouTube?) and data.  I'll guess the fee is not going away and if anything will increase.
Most infrastructures currently in place are too antiquated to handle anything more than E911. And with local municipalities financially strapped, replacing it is likely not in the near future.

aopisa

So if I set up a secondary provider that supports E911 on SP2 and check the 911 box in ObiTalk, do I have to do anything else?

lhm.

Yes , make a test call to 911 to verify accuracy/information of the setup.

Additionally, gv911.com may be an option.  Also check to see if smart911.com is available in your area. Similar to NG 911 mentioned by CoalMinerRetired.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: lhm. on October 31, 2012, 07:46:28 AM
Yes , make a test call to 911 verify accuracy of the setup.

Additionally, gv911.com may be an option.  Also check to see if smart911.com is available in your area. Similar to NG 911 mentioned by CoalMinerRetired.
You should be careful on doing a test call.  In some states or locations that is against the law. 

911 from traditional landline and cell phone companies, (and from commercial VoIP providers I believe) includes an automated method to test a call, it's done offline and you never see it or hear it. In the homebrew world that we're talking about here, the only way is to call a non emergency number and ask the 911 people how to test it.

You obviously do want to test, since you do not want to find out it's not working when you need it in a real emergency. 

aopisa

I got it all set up with Anveo on sp2 for E911. Called the local non-emergency dispatch number and told them I wanted to test my new unit to see if the proper information was coming across to 911. They just told me to call 911 and tell the dispatcher that it was a non-emergency call to test an internet phone. I nervously dialed 911 and did just that. The dispatcher relayed my correct address and callback number (generated by Anveo).

I am all set now with GV on sp1 and Anveo for E911 on SP2.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Rick

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 31, 2012, 08:33:39 AM

You should be careful on doing a test call.  In some states or locations that is against the law. 

911 from traditional landline and cell phone companies, (and from commercial VoIP providers I believe) includes an automated method to test a call, it's done offline and you never see it or hear it. In the homebrew world that we're talking about here, the only way is to call a non emergency number and ask the 911 people how to test it.

You obviously do want to test, since you do not want to find out it's not working when you need it in a real emergency. 

Hence why to call them on the non-emergency number to get permission, which they will usually give you.  They MAY ask you to do it at another time if they are busy (mine discourages test calls during rush hours or storms).  But to not test is crazy.

aopisa

In the wake of the Sandy/Callcentric fiasco, I am trying to figure out how to get my OBI100 to automatically switch over to Anveo's redundant servers in case of a failure. Something about DNS_SRV, but I can't find anything about it.

Rick

Quote from: aopisa on October 31, 2012, 10:34:27 AM
In the wake of the Sandy/Callcentric fiasco, I am trying to figure out how to get my OBI100 to automatically switch over to Anveo's redundant servers in case of a failure. Something about DNS_SRV, but I can't find anything about it.

First, don't post the same question multiple places on the forums, it just makes extra work for people.   ;)

There are two ways to configure your device. How did you do it when you configured it?

One - Via the OBitalk portal, i.e. the website.
Two - Via "expert" mode, i.e. by logging into your OBi by typing in an IP address into your web browser.

What they are saying is if you use their instructions to setup their service, it will switch over automatically.

aopisa

Sorry, about the double post.

I used  the Obitalk portal.

This is what they said. I don't recall seeing an Anveo template with a DNS-SRV option.

11:38:22 Customer Care: if you use OBITALK portal to configure Obi device then you can use Anveo template provided by Obi and it is using DNS_SRV option. with DNS_SRV OBi device will automatically failover to another Anveo server.

If you want you can reply to the other post so we don't get off topic and make things confusing. Thanks.

Rick

Quote from: aopisa on October 31, 2012, 10:53:13 AM
Sorry, about the double post.

I used  the Obitalk portal.

This is what they said. I don't recall seeing an Anveo template with a DNS-SRV option.

11:38:22 Customer Care: if you use OBITALK portal to configure Obi device then you can use Anveo template provided by Obi and it is using DNS_SRV option. with DNS_SRV OBi device will automatically failover to another Anveo server.

If you want you can reply to the other post so we don't get off topic and make things confusing. Thanks.

It's saying that IF you use the Obitalk portal, as you did, that the default setup that OBi has in there when you pick Anveo is using the option to properly rollover to another server if need be. 

aopisa

I read it again right after I posted and realized that's what it said.  :-[

Thank you.

rsriram22

just an fyi - anveo does not send your actual caller ID to 911, so your smart911 info (if you have registered there, that is) will not be displayed to 911 operators.. otherwise anveo's E911 is THE cheapest in the market, hands down!
have two 100s and one 110

jimates

Quote from: rsriram22 on November 02, 2012, 05:35:47 AM
just an fyi - anveo does not send your actual caller ID to 911, so your smart911 info (if you have registered there, that is) will not be displayed to 911 operators.. otherwise anveo's E911 is THE cheapest in the market, hands down!
Same for Callcentric

relgycandy

check to see if smart911.com is available in your area. Similar to NG 911 mentioned by CoalMinerRetired.

lhm.

For those with smart911 (smart911.com), GV911.com is the cheapest and does not require an additional  VSP.