News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

When being 24/7 is really 24/7 - funny stories too

Started by Rick, October 31, 2012, 06:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

In the past few weeks, many of us have seen that OBi has had some device issues revealed by a VoIP provider's issues (Callcentric).  OBi finally responded with an updated firmware.  As a group, we've been critical that OBi seems geared and staffed to support a reseller community, not consumers.  We've learned that Callcentric was not properly setup to defend itself, communicate with customers, or run without electricity for more than an hour.  Given that we use our phones to communicate in our businesses, with our families, and emergency personnel, we all need to be looking closer at providers redundancy, emergency prep, and our own emergency prep.  For example, if your entire family is on Verizon Wireless, do you own a non-Verizon phone that you could use in an emergency, at least to dial 911, if all power is out?  You can buy an ATT GoPhone for $5 on sale at various times during the year.  Do you have a Mobile Power supply like Mobile Juice, where you can charge your cell phone without electricity?   http://amzn.to/X0voOS

Brings me to a funny emergency prep story.  Over a decade ago I worked for an ecommerce company where the head of IT boasted of his redundancy and emergency prep.  I asked one day where the telecom lines were, and he explained how we had several and they came in from different routes on different poles.  I then pointed out how they all came together on one pole in front of the building, which sat unprotected waiting for a weekend joy rider to take out the pole.  A few weeks later we lost power, and his "great generator" wouldn't run because it had run dry of oil - he had saved money by cancelling the maintenance plan on it and relying on his staff to maintain a generator, which they didn't know used oil...   :D

infin8loop

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

QBZappy

infin8loop,

You are already better prepared than CC.  :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tome

I thought it ironically funny how people posted that they had just gotten a firmware update from Obi to fix the CallCentric related reboot issue.  Unfortunately it can't be tested because CallCentric has no power and is completely off the map.

All dressed up and no where to go.   ;D

Rick

Infin8loop - Progresso Soups Legal Department will be sending you a letter about you infringing on their invention...   :D

geva

I like your story Rick.  If redundancy to avoid any outage was really so important to your old company, then they probably should have just understood that such redundancy has a cost which might include generator maintenance.  It's one of those "roll your eyes" stories.. but I think it happens all the time around the world.

One effective approach is to run the generator for an hour a month.  Obviously runs a cost and uses fuel, but at least you know that it should work when you need it.  If it stops working, you can then get maintenance.  Sad, but I'm sure many companies providing such maintenance contracts really gouge their customers - which could be the reason why the maintenance stopped.

As for home VoIP redundancy, my take on it is that you are not going to have a very redundant system but are going to save a lot of money.  That being said, I only ever look at a hosted service provider that has multiple data centers in various parts of the world.

Being able to hop onto a portal and configure call forwarding or outbound SIP peer is a great way to be able to remotely redirect calls from the phone switch way before the building itself.  This obviously requires the portal and ITSP be up and working, but means power, phone line, cable outages can all be dealt with by simply having a DID forward to a cell phone for example.

Lavarock7

A few years ago, the Big Island of Hawaii experienced a 6.8 earthquake followed shortly by a 6.2. Although there was some damage, generally everything made it through pretty well.

Unfortunately, most radio stations did not have emergency power and were off the air. Imagine spinning the dial (or pushing buttons) and finding nothing! Actually, I think there was one AM station on another island that was running.

So I was able to access the internet but the earthquake site we use was either offline or horribly overloaded with requests. I ended up calling a friend in Florida to look up the quake and where it was.

Soon our cellphones had trouble making calls as the world tried to call us and we tried to call the world. I believe that the cell companies and phone companies and limit inbound calls and limit the mass calls that happen after a major event. Unlike the East coast with their storm, here it is a simple thing to limit all calls to a single area code.

In any event, decades ago I used to work in radio at a station on the Kentucky/Virginia state line. We had "emergency power and telephone service" because we had power and phones come up both sides of the mountain which allowed completely different circuits. The KY and VA power were on different parts of the grid.

I used to be quite active in Ham Radio and have been a network control operator (dispatcher) during many emergencies. With that said, I could not believe that in an area with tsunamis, earthquakes (daily), hurricane possibilities and flowing liquid rock (lava) are a way of life. On my island, a single car accident can block the only road that gets you to town and an alternative could take hours to traverse. That car accident can also take down telephone, cable tv, internet and electric.

So in this kind of atmosphere, it is unbelievable that we are not better prepared.

Then again, we are very prepared in other areas. Without electric, many of us can still eat because we have grills or know how to create and use an imu (underground oven). We also generally don't require air conditioning or heating - we just open or close the windows, because of our weather.

So yes, being prepared and having a backup plan is important. However, you have to think things through. If you have a cable modem and you lose power, your having a UPS for your Obi and cordless phone and router may not help if the amplifiers that supply that cable signal to your house have no power.

When I lost cable access for a month, I was able to use my Verizon cellphone with unlimited data plan, to tether to my computer where I could still get online. I was also able to use a LAN connection out of my computer to the router and with a few cable swaps, could get a laptop online too.

One item that helps me when the power goes off is a UPS with a LED light and a laptop. The LED light uses drastically less power than a regular light bulb.

--

On a different side, I once worked for a very large computer company in Atlanta. The computer room was the size of a football field with hundreds of servers. The new computer room had a big red button which would immediately shut down all computers in the room and the air conditioning, to be used in case of a fire.

We had a water leak and called one of those well-known companies to suck up water under the raised floor. The guys were working and our company reps were off in another part of the massive room, when one of the service guys needed to exit the room and go to the bathroom. The "startrek" type glass doors required a security card swipe to enter and exit (thus showing who was accessing the secure area). The guy waved his hands and walked to and fro and when the doors did not open, he decided that the "big red button" must open the doors. It released the door alright as all major lights, all air and all power was turn off.

In response, my company installed a plastic cover over the button. They created a guide on how to use the emergency system in case of emergency. A few days later a computer operator and a security guard were reviewing the instructions. As the operator lifted the plastic cover, a sonolert beep went off. The operator was going to just lower the cover, when the guard pointed at the button and said, I'll turn off the alarm and, you guessed it, pressed the "big red button" again throwing the room in darkness and quiet as we system managers again made the trek to the room to restart hundreds of computers. The guard was reassigned. A better sign was installed with a warning of what the big red button does".

Always have a backup plan, even if it is just a new security guard waiting in the wings.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

MurrayB

Generac recommends running the generator once a week.