News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Moving OBI110-GV between two houses

Started by GH-UpNorth, April 24, 2012, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GH-UpNorth

Hello

I'm somewhat new to this... I have high speed internet at two houses, with different service providers at each house. I'd like to be able to take my obi110 when we go to the other house. What adjustments would I have to make on either my Google voice or OBI Dashboard to switch from one place to the other. Should I have separate Google Voice accounts for each?

Thanks

Stewart

Unless you needed to set a static IP address or other special network setup, you shouldn't have to change anything.

You might want the unit to behave differently depending on location, e.g. if you have a landline in one place or the other, or you want 7-digit dialing to mean different area codes.  In that case, you could save backups of both setups and do a restore when you move the unit.

If you configure the device with two GV accounts, e.g. so you have a local number for each home, you could answer calls on either number from either location.  However, that would not leave room for a SIP account, which you might want for 911 access or lower cost international calling.

You might want to consider buying another OBi, to save the hassle of moving it back and forth, or if both homes are often simultaneously occupied.  It's possible to couple them so you could still make and receive calls on either account from either location.

erikjfreed

I read:

You might want to consider buying another OBi, to save the hassle of moving it back and forth, or if both homes are often simultaneously occupied.  It's possible to couple them so you could still make and receive calls on either account from either location.

This is exactly what I want to do however i have no idea how to 'couple them'. I want my one google voice account to ring and be answerable in either house on either obi box. Is that really possible? How?

thanks,

Erik

MurrayB

Hello

Just another point of view for what its worth. I fork my calls (ring in two places) over the ObiTalk network. Calls that come in to either my PA or NJ location ring at both locations so they can be answered in either location. This arrangement eliminates the use of GV and any of it's limitations. I have an answering machine that I can set for any number of rings at one location that I can access from anywhere. People have no idea where I am and it is extremely convenient.

Good Luck!

jimates

MurrayB,

There has been increased interest lately in setting up 2 Obi's with this configuration. Would it be possible for you to post your full configuration for this.

ianobi

erikjfreed,

Welcome to the forum  :)

This is jumping in at the deep end! This thread assumes that you wish to call out from both locations using the one GV number, as well as answer the one GV number at both locations:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2391.msg15504#msg15504

Good luck!

MurrayB

I am on the go right now but I will post the configurations as soon as I stop moving.

MurrayB

I did this directly on the Obi:

Obtain the Obi IP Address by dialing ***1

Log on via your Web Browser

Setup Wizard

Physical Interfaces--> Line Port---> InboundCallRoute-->{ph,pp1(obxxxxxxxxx)}

Insert your nine digit Obi Number for the Obi in the other location.

In other words at your NY location input the Obi Number for the Obi in FL and vice versa.

This will result in all incoming calls, being forked, ringing at both locations. I never tried it but I understand that if you enter a star code for call forwarding the forking from that Obi is suspended until the star code is entered to disable call forwarding. I do not know if the calls being forked to that Obi are forwarded I never tried this but I think that they probably would. This would require a test to be sure.

This arrangement works great for me.

Good Luck!

erikjfreed

Thanks to all who were so helpful - clearly its possible which is very good to know. I will go ahead and buy the second box, set it up here in my primary location, and then when working, take it to the secondary location and hook it up there. Hopefully there is no problem setting it up that way and it will still work once moved...

again my thanks!
Erik