News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi freezes up, no incoming calls

Started by BillDoe, November 08, 2012, 07:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDoe

I have recently had my Obi go into "there is no service available) mode and any incoming calls do not ring through. There is no notification the device is down, so it can be days before I pick up the  phone and get that message letting me know. Missing calls as a result.

What can be done? MY internet service isn't going down, just the Obi device. Can I somehow be notified when this occurs so I'm not wondering why my phone hasn't rung in days?

Also, caller ID only shows numbers, no names - normal?

QBZappy

Quote from: BillDoe on November 08, 2012, 07:56:54 AM
Also, caller ID only shows numbers, no names - normal?

You didn't mention if this is a GV acct or a sip acct. If you are talking about a GV acct, then yes, they only pass CID number. If you want a work around to get CID NAME+NUMBER, look up the Call Centric thread started by our friend pc44 for an excellent explanation on how to set it up.

Voip service providers may not all offer the CID NAME especially if the call is coming over from the PSTN side, as they need to find the number in a 3rd party database in order to pass that NAME. Some SPs offer it (free or at a premium). Calls originating and terminating over voip (sip to sip calls), should pass CID NAME, as it is built into the sip protocol.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

BillDoe

This is a Google Voice acct., and thanks for the info on CID. The more critical issue is to figure out why the Obi device randomly stops passing thru incoming calls and goes into the "NO Service" mode when there is no evidence of my internet going down. When this happens:

*Calls still go to Google voicemail, but my phone doesn't provide a stutter tone indicating a message has been left

*The phone itself does not ring, nor does the display indicate a change in "missed calls"

*I do not get any notification email that a message has been left