News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction)

Started by ShermanObi, March 23, 2011, 12:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

To make changes using the portal or directly; if either the default box or the Obitalk box is checked,  you must first remove the check from both boxes and then make your changes.

ibotalk

thanks
i had noted that removing the check from the obitalk transfers the check to the default
but it hadnt occurred to me that i could then remoe the check from the default and thus allow edits!

ShermanObi

Added to the original topic post:
- More explicit language about un-checking the OBiTALK Settings and Device Default check boxes.
- Image showing the same.

guyinsb

I am using a MacBook running Snow Leopard, and use FireFox (v12.0).
When attempting to use OBi Expert Configuration, when I uncheck the "OBiTalk" box,
the other box does not get an automatic check.  As a result, I can not uncheck both
boxes, and as a result can not change the value for the associated parameter.

Everything works fine with Safari and Camino.

[Mod note: A bug has been entered for this issue.  Thank you for your support - Obihai Technology]

Clive

Quote from: Dale on October 26, 2011, 01:30:57 PM

But, take the "AddressingType" setting for example... in the direct access UI there are two choices:
Static
DHCP

For this parameter, there is nowhere in the ObiExpert UI that I have found where this choice can be made. It now displays the value, but no change can be made.

I've just started using obi110 with firmware 1.3 and can change the addressing value using the obiexpert web ui by the double untick 'feature'.

Must say, initial impressions of this device are positive. Have been using Linksys in the past but their new devices are really buggy so it's a refreshing change to see some voip kit that is actually modern in concept and design.

Another plus is you don't need asbestos gloves to pick it up when it's running  ;), cool man  ::)

LLLL

Quote from: ShermanObi on October 25, 2011, 06:15:46 PM
@Dale: Since you asked so nicely,  ;) the following status items have been added to the OBiTALK expert web pages:

Status
  System Status
  Call Status
  Last 10 Calls
  SP1 & SP2 Stats
  PHONE & LINE Status

To see this information, your device will need to be up-to-date with 1.3 software.

On overwriting items, the OBi Expert configuration will be used when both the OBiTALK and Default settings check boxes are left UN-checked.  Parameters set by direct web access to the device's IP address (***1) will be overwritten by the OBi Expert setting if that parameter's OBi Expert setting has the OBiTALK and Default settings check boxes are left UN-checked.  This is why it is a good idea to back up your device's configuration (System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration) and then import the config. to the device using the OBi Expert Import function.

Jazzchia

I reset my OBi100 to factory default and I lost the configURL and auto-provision settings. My working config is stored in www.obitalk.com, so I wanted to connect back to the provision server to pull down the working config.

What are the auto-provision settings required on the OBi100 for it to work with the online ObiTalk?

Felix

Hi Jazzchia, and welcome to the forum

You may want to start a new thread, rather than pollute a sticky with unrelated question

Thanks

SIMPLE_desires

Is it true that DISabling the portal wipes all manual configuration (not expert)?  As the sticky linking to this expert thread claims

SIMPLE_desires

Quote from: Dale on October 22, 2011, 07:53:10 PM
I have noticed that most items have the little blue 'i' icon to provide additional information. Sadly however the content of the additional help is simply a repeat of the UI text.  For example:

Reset OBi Expert Config   -> the help text says: Reset OBi Expert Config

Providing a help link for us to hover over or click and then provide no additional content is actually worse than having no link! How about this: if you don't have help text don't display the 'info' icon.

yes, additional help should provide additional help and not mere truisms.

MarkObihai

If you regularly use OBi Expert, we've made it easier to directly enter Expert mode via OBiTALK.

• Login to OBiTALK and click "Edit Profile"
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the option "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard" - apply your changes

When you enter the OBi Dashboard, you will now see a red E cog next to the blue cog.  Clicking the red E cog takes you directly to expert mode.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

SteveInWA

Mark, OMG, thanks so much for that.  It was SO exasperating to have to click three things, including the "are you sure" thing every time I needed to get to Expert Configuration.

ChrisWesley

@ShermanObi Thanks for writing this guide, but I find it difficult to follow in places. The paragraph about databased I cannot understand at all - despite several readings.

I still do not know what the red asterisk means, which is why I found myself here. (I am an honours graduate of computing in case you think I'm not "expert" audience material). Once reason is your persistent use of redundant words. You say "OBi Expert Configuration" 11 times, for example. "ObiExpert" might be better.

And why have the same parameter in two places in your interface (OBiTalk and OBiExpert) yet display possibly different values??? That should never be possible. These days web pages can easily be updated in parts on the fly.

I now believe that My OBiTalk/Expert settings are being re-synced to the device web interface periodically. OK. So once registered, I should manage my device through OBiExpert. Will do. I would appreciate a clearer explanation of the red asterisk please.

And by the way you suggest leaving expert alone if you're not compfortable wit hthe expert interface - but that's not an option for UK customers. And you know - it should be! You sell it in the UK - you even sell a UK version with a UK cable. So why doesn't your UK box come configured to work with UK phone systems?

Finally, the box will not reboot reliably from the device web interface. It will do it once, but not again - I have to power cycle it. Why is that?

Thanks

ShermanObi

[From Above]
On the right side of the OBiTALK Settings check box there may be an asterisk (*) indicating this parameter is currently being used in the OBiTALK portal for feature configuration.  Therefore, if the symbol resides next to a parameter setting that you choose to over-ride with an OBi Expert Configuration setting, the functionality configured by the OBiTALK portal is subject to conflicted operation.  It is important to note that the presence of the * may appear suddenly, when functionality is added to the OBiTALK portal that requires management of the parameter next to which the * appears.  We suggest that users uncheck the OBiTALK box for those parameters NOT marked with the *, when the particular parameter value is different for a configuration outside the realm of what is available in OBiTALK. Unchecking the OBiTALK box will ensure the custom value will not be overwritten by a future OBiTALK enhancement or modification.

Sometimes, it helps to think of the higher-level "OBiTALK" web configuration and the lower-level OBiExpert configuration as two cloud-based profiles that target the same device -- and the winner, from a hierarchical POV is OBiExpert.

Here are some informative discussions on getting the device configured with UK settings:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8434.0
https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewforum.php?f=10

When you are connected to the integral web interface, locally, and you select the reboot button, the device should invoke a reboot.  If you are not observing this behavior, please contact support@obihai.com -- provide your 9-digit OBi No.

ChrisWesley

ShermanObi thanks for oyur reply.

So, in a few words, the asterisk means "this value is not in effect because OBiExpert has overridden it with a different value".  You know - it would be so easy to have a help text on that asterisk saying that - or actually - forget the help text - why not WRITE THAT OUT in the interface? It's very frustrating when poorly-designed UIs dump frustration and confusion on people all over the world like this when it's so easily fixed.

I still think that actually - the UI should update the OBiTalk parameters to the OBiExpert parameters when they differ.

Could you tell me in terms as simple as these what the exclamation mark means, please?

As far as I can see, the only advantage to using OBiTalk/Expert rather than the device web interface is remote access. Pleae let me know if that is correct.

Thanks, Chris

jtkboston

Quote from: guyinsb on June 07, 2012, 12:01:34 PM
I am using a MacBook running Snow Leopard, and use FireFox (v12.0).
When attempting to use OBi Expert Configuration, when I uncheck the "OBiTalk" box,
the other box does not get an automatic check.  As a result, I can not uncheck both
boxes, and as a result can not change the value for the associated parameter.

Everything works fine with Safari and Camino.

[Mod note: A bug has been entered for this issue.  Thank you for your support - Obihai Technology]

This bug still exists 4 years later?  Ugh, please fix this.  Still a problem with Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan) and Firefox 49.