News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi110 with multi-line IP phone

Started by philc, November 17, 2012, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philc

I would like to know if the OBi110 supports multi-line IP phones (Cisco SPA525G 5-line phone, or 79xx series, etc.) where each line on the IP phone references one of the various line choices offered by the 110 (SP1, SP2, and analog line)?

Additionally, I would like to deploy another OBi110 to attach to my second analog line and reference it as the 4th line on the IP phone. 

Further down the line I would like to hook up multiple IP phones on the local network in this fashion.  No need for the IP phones to see each other as distinct extensions; just need them to operate as close to a normal analog phone as possible (the wife and family are not ready for office phone behavior).

I have dug around and can see IP phones are supported in at least some fashion with the OBi110 (usually with only one line being referenced).  Some of these posts make me think I am consuming one of the two available SPx connections on the OBi110 device which would seem to interfere with allowing 3 line operation especially on multiple IP phones.

OBi seems to recommend the OBi202/OBiPlus for connecting IP phones, but I require the analog connection offered in the 110 product and I'm not a fan of the OBiPlus concept.

Thanks,

Phil

QBZappy

philc,

Welcome,

Quote from: philc on November 17, 2012, 03:00:38 PM
I would like to know if the OBi110 supports multi-line IP phones (Cisco SPA525G 5-line phone, or 79xx series, etc.) where each line on the IP phone references one of the various line choices offered by the 110 (SP1, SP2, and analog line)?

You must have quite a stash of Cisco ip phones!!! I don't own any Cisco ip phones, however this might help you decide. It looks like each extention is reference by port number. Have a look:
How To: OBify Your IP Phone (No Asterisk Involved)
http://voxilla.com/2011/02/15/how-to-obify-your-ip-phone-no-asterisk-involved/

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

philc

Quote from: QBZappy on November 17, 2012, 03:12:40 PM
philc,

Welcome,

Quote from: philc on November 17, 2012, 03:00:38 PM

You must have quite a stash of Cisco ip phones!!! I don't own any Cisco ip phones, however this might help you decide. It looks like each extention is reference by port number. Have a look:
How To: OBify Your IP Phone (No Asterisk Involved)
http://voxilla.com/2011/02/15/how-to-obify-your-ip-phone-no-asterisk-involved/

I read that post and that is the one which consumes SP2 (see step 5).  It also doesn't address the multi-line issue.  I don't actually own any phones yet, but may ask for one for Xmas assuming what I'm looking to do is possible.

Thanks,

Phil

ianobi

Philc,

You may wish to try this as an experiment that does not cost anything. I have a Phonerlite softphone set up on my pc which makes and receives calls directly  to and from my OBi110 using sp2. sp2 is actually configured for a sip2sip account.

The Phonerlite account is set to "not register" and Proxy/Registrar is set to 192.168.1.10:5071, which is the address and port of my sp2 UserAgentPort. User name is an eight digit number say 12345678. The address and port of the Phonerlite is 192.168.1.13:5064.

Calling from the Phonerlite into or through the OBi uses sp2 InboundCallRoute and allows routing through any of the OBi services using the Caller ID 12345678 or direct to the OBi.

From the OBi to the Phonerlite: sp2(12345678@192.168.1.13:5064) Incoming calls to the OBI can be forwarded to the Phonerlite using the same address.

It occurs to me that you may wish to set up two instances of the Phonerlite using two different ports to simulate a multiline situation and do some experimenting. (Phonerlite is free).

Both my sip2sip account and this direct calling to and from Phonerlite coexist quite happily both using sp2. I have just made a test call from Phonerlite coming into OBi on sp2 and outgoing to sp1 and at the same time made an outgoing call from the Obi Phone Port using sip2sip on sp2. Both calls were fine.