News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBI202

Started by billva63, April 17, 2013, 06:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billva63

Set it up about a week ago and call quality has been good.

However two times in the last several days when I go to use the phone I get a dial tone but when I dial a number nothing happens. 

Then I used my house phone which I have not discontinued yet to call my Google Voice number and the phone hooked to my Obi did not ring.  My cell did as GV is connected to it also, and it also went to voice mail.

Both times I disconnected the power and reconnected it works again.  However I am wanting to go to this as my home phone but need it to be more reliable.

Any advice?

I have sent an email to OBI

SteveInWA

Quote from: billva63 on April 17, 2013, 06:02:00 PM
Set it up about a week ago and call quality has been good.

However two times in the last several days when I go to use the phone I get a dial tone but when I dial a number nothing happens. 

Then I used my house phone which I have not discontinued yet to call my Google Voice number and the phone hooked to my Obi did not ring.  My cell did as GV is connected to it also, and it also went to voice mail.

Both times I disconnected the power and reconnected it works again.  However I am wanting to go to this as my home phone but need it to be more reliable.

Any advice?

I have sent an email to OBI

There was a major outage of GV today, that might have caused your problem.  The outage is over.  If your problem persists, you either have a configuration issue, or you may have a problem with your internet service.  The best way to troubleshoot these problems is always to start by eliminating the OBi as a possible cause.  Unplug the Obi.  Log into Gmail, using your same credentials as you do for the GV account on your OBi.  Try to make and receive a call from the Gmail voice and video chat plugin.  If it has the same problem, it's not an OBi issue.

billva63

Thanks Steve.  I am pretty sure that GV didn't have anything to do with it, because both times it has happened it cleared up as soon as I unplugged and then repowered the OBI. 

But I will try what you say when/if it happens again.

Also the reply I got back from OBI was to try the OBI in front of my router. 

meerkat

yep, similar symptom happen to me too, twice

I found it has been working fine for 2 week, one day, calling the phone no longer ring up (while the obi202, which is also used as bridge still works totally fine).  I also found the obitalk dashboard reported my 202 was offline

Power cycle the 202 box clear things up.   I'm pretty sure this is the box firmware issue (and I have the latest)

RFord

Quote from: meerkat on April 26, 2013, 06:14:53 PM
yep, similar symptom happen to me too, twice

I found it has been working fine for 2 week, one day, calling the phone no longer ring up (while the obi202, which is also used as bridge still works totally fine).  I also found the obitalk dashboard reported my 202 was offline

Power cycle the 202 box clear things up.   I'm pretty sure this is the box firmware issue (and I have the latest)

If it was a "box firmware issue" you should see a flood of complaints wouldn't you?  Why would it work fine for two weeks and then suddenly not work?  The next time this happens, see if you can ping the OBi.

meerkat

a firmware issue does not necessarily show up all the time and causes flood of complaints, With packet coming and the box software routing it (as bridge) and user use the phone at the same time, with quality off service (QOS) enforce, all of them happens in  parallel and are  dynamic and there are matrix of scenarios that software has to handle properly (the so called race condition may pretty hard to reproduce and hit as you need to came cross this transient state exactly, but once hit, and if there is a bug, it sets the software into unknown state.

As I said the box is used as a bridge, that keeps working and can route network activities, so you do not need to use ping to know ping is still working as as  ping's icmp sits in between layer 2 and 3 on tcp/ip stack, if it breaks, the birdge mode cannot be still working.

A simple power recycle of the box  solves the issue w/o any cable readjustment also demonstrate it is the software inside the box that got partially brain dead.