News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which port to use landline phones?

Started by piersond, November 26, 2012, 01:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piersond

If I want to use my landlines in my home, do I plug the home phone line into the Phone port or the Line port.  I know this can cause problems if done incorrectly, so please help.
Dave

hwittenb

With the OBI110, you plug the home phone line (landline) into the LINE port, you plug your analog phone into the PHONE port.

welkiner

If you are trying to connect all the phones in your house to your OBI, Use the Phone Port.
Just be sure before you do that, that your house phones are not physically connected to a telephone company.
In most houses you can simple disconnect the line rj11 module plug at the NID (Phone box outside your house).  For apartments, you'll have to ask someone who knows the phone system.
If you are trying to connect a line that is active with a phone company, use the Line Port (Telco)
wb

Rick

You want to connect the interior wiring to the PHONE port.  To do so, you need to position the OBi (assuming you have an OBi 110) between the incoming phone company wire and the interior wiring. This is often in the basement on the other side of the exterior box.  Many setups bring the wire in from the phone company box to a plastic junction on a board on the wall in the basement.  That box then sends a phone wire out which powers the whole house.  Simply unplug the incoming wire from that box and plug it in the OBi 110 LINE port, and plug the OBi 110 phone port into the wire that is feeding the house outlets.