News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to use a Verizon line and a Google Voice number with Obi.

Started by mhhack, November 29, 2012, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhhack

Hi,
As a newbie with an Obi 100 I've been able to make and receive calls using Google voice.
Aside from that, I have two Verizon lines and several two-line phones connected in parallel.
What I want to do is to keep the two-line phones, but cancel one of the Verizon lines and replace it with the Google voice line. Basically I'd like line 1 as the Verizon line, and line 2 as the Obi Google line. What Obi model do I need and how can I configure such a system?

MikeHObi

Only the Obi202 supports separate phones.  Only the Obi110 supports a POTS phone line incoming.

If you want to use your 2 line phones with the 1 verizon and one GV, it seems like you could take the output from your termination point for the Verizon service, and the output from the Obi 100.  And create a 2 line jack (2 pair from the Obi, 2 from the verizon box) from the two services.  Then plug your two line phones into that.

This article has an example of how to wire the jack.  The inner pair are line 1, the outer pair are line 2.

http://www.oreillynet.com/etel/blog/2005/04/telecom_tips_wiring_your_home.html
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.