News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Number Porting Problems of Different Cell Providers

Started by VoipPaul100, June 17, 2013, 02:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VoipPaul100

I am going to port my land line to an AT&T Go Phone and then to Google Voice and use with an OBi100

For members who have been on this board for a while, what are your impressions from other members posts about problems / delays in porting from AT&T Go Phone versus porting from T-Mobile, etc

I had found a few links on Google search from early 2012 from some Go Phone users that their porting to GVoice had gotten stuck/delayed, I'm hoping experienced members have insights on how common problems are among providers.

Thanks!

VoipPaul100

No, I read through that and it has a lot of good info, particularly checking this link
http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-detail?
for the Rate Center for your area code and exchange for the Google Voice provider bandwidth.com, to try to determine whether Google will say your number is not in an area the server / can't port to Google Voice. Even 1 to 3 people mentioning Go Phone porting specifically, but that isn't a lot of feedback in the scheme of things.

So that informative thread covers different topics than systemic delays / problems / incompetence of specific cell providers in efficiently honoring the port request to Google Voice that OBi hardware veterans may know from following these threads over the years.

VoipPaul100

The other reason I asked was that Obihai's official land line number porting tutorial only mentions T-Mobile at
http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial.html

not stating "T-Mobile, or similar cell provider," or even better mentioning the more obscure issue of checking the Rate Center of your number-to-be-ported to ensure it includes Google Voice provider bandwidth.com to know if you can even port to Google after the interim port to a cell provider.

So there is an implication that there is something technical that requires or greatly improves the port by using T-Mobile...

ontwowheels

I ported from Vonage to T-Mobile prepaid to GV.  My issues were with Vonage, once they finally let the number go to T-Mobile I had the number ported to GV lickety-split...  ;)

dircom

Not to beat a dead horse, but does Bandwith.com have to be listed in your local central office in order to port?
ie has anyone had success in porting if it was not listed?