News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Static Noise only when using Phone Module

Started by BryanC, January 26, 2012, 07:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanC

I have an OnQ Telecom Module, like this one http://www.legrand.us/onq/videovoice/voice-modules/1267062-01.aspx and/or this one http://homeowner.onqlegrand.com/products/1267062-01-V1. When I plug my Obi110 into the bridge to route my phone service throughout the house (to all the wall phone jacks) I hear static/audio interference. The sound goes away when I plug the phone directly in to the Obi110. I use the exact same CAT5 and Phone cables, with these different results. I'm currently using Google Voice and have successfully used this same desirable set up via Vonage before, for many years without this disruptive sound on the line. That tells me there is something either wrong with the Obi110 or I need some sort of filter or amp to improve the line. Is that correct? Again the service is perfect when not plugged into the bridge. I thought also that perhaps there might be interference with the cable modem and wireless router that is in the same location of the phone module, but moving power sources (wall plugs) and the Obi110 several feet away from them didn't remove the sound from the line. Thoughts? Do I need a replacement Obi110 or something else? Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Busthead

I have a similar setup. An On-Q TM7556 distributes dial tone to all of the connected Cat 5e cables.

If you have DSL Internet service, insert a splitter on the incoming line from the telco and connect your DSL modem to one output of the splitter and a DSL filter to the other output. Then connect your your OBi device to the DSL filter.

Best of luck.

BryanC

I don't have DSL, I have Cable. There is nothing on the phone line but the Obi110. Any other thoughts?

Diana

Two suggestions:

1.  Do you have another power cable you can try with the OBI110?  Bad Transformer?

2.  Disconnect all phones attached module (via Cat 5 cables) or disconnect the cables at the module.  Now re-attached/re-connect each one at a time and check to see if you can isolate the Phone and/or line that is introducing the "noise". 

The problem could be traced to a specific phone or Cat 5 line or it could be a bad/poor transformer.

Quote from: BryanC on November 29, 2012, 05:52:40 PM
I don't have DSL, I have Cable. There is nothing on the phone line but the Obi110. Any other thoughts?