News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

what's the minimum or recommended bandwidth for using Obi110 & Google Voice?

Started by onepolarbear, December 06, 2012, 08:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onepolarbear

what's the minimum or recommended up/down bandwidth for using Obi110 & Google Voice? (or just between two Obi110 devices)

Since the Obi110 is really cheap right now, I want to get a couple more and send them to family members who are stationed overseas temporarily.  (one in Europe and one in Asia)

Thanks! :)

Rick

Quote from: onepolarbear on December 06, 2012, 08:56:08 AM
what's the minimum or recommended up/down bandwidth for using Obi110 & Google Voice? (or just between two Obi110 devices)

Since the Obi110 is really cheap right now, I want to get a couple more and send them to family members who are stationed overseas temporarily.  (one in Europe and one in Asia)

Search on the forum is not very good.  Try in Google site:www.obitalk.com/forum searchterm and you'll find a bunch of references.  site:www.obitalk.com/forum/ minimum bandwidth

infin8loop

Quote from: onepolarbear on December 06, 2012, 08:56:08 AM

Maybe 64Kbps based on a test Google Voice call I made. OBi110 Call status showed the call was using the G711U codec.  Looks like the G711 codec could be as high as 96Kbps. This is kilobits per second.

Of course if this saturates the available bandwidth then the calls will probably sound worse than using a string and two cans.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher