News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming call ringing both Obihai and Google chat on the computer.

Started by FragenHaben, May 25, 2012, 08:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragenHaben

Is there a way to have incoming calls ring both the Obihai and Google chat on my computer? As soon as the Obihai is plugged in Google chat no longer rings.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: FragenHaben on May 25, 2012, 08:04:24 PM
Is there a way to have incoming calls ring both the Obihai and Google chat on my computer? As soon as the Obihai is plugged in Google chat no longer rings.

The short answer is "no", because of exactly the effect you observed — Google Voice will only send calls to one Google Chat client at a time.  The longer answer is that it actually could be possible if you used a DID (regular phone number) as an additional destination for Google Voice and then had incoming calls to that DID sent to the Obihai device via SIP (obviously this would have to happen on a service provider account NOT used to directly connect to Google Voice).  If you don't understand a word of what I just said, then the answer is "no", unless you are willing to dig in and learn about that sort of thing, or get more direct help from someone in setting this up.

Or, one other alternative that would probably be easier is to use the OBiON software on your computer, and then have incoming Google Voice calls directed to your Obihai device, and have it fork the call to the OBiON app on your computer.  Unfortunately I have a Mac, and there is no Mac version of the OBiON software, so I can't tell you how to set that up, but if you search on the word OBiON on this forum you may find one or more posts that show how to do that.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Stewart

You could get a free or paid DID, set up GV to forward to it, and have that DID ring your computer via a softphone of your choice.  Some free DIDs are IPKall (Washington state) and Callcentric (lower New York state).

khamel

I'm having the same issue, I travel internationally and want my google chat client to "ring" with calls in addition to my home Obi, but the Obi has the chat session locked up.

I'm open to forwarding my GV to another number and having that number ring on my Obi, but I still want outgoing calls to show my GV # for caller ID.

Is there any other workaround to get both the Obi and Google Chat to ring when a call is placed to my GV #?