News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

External IP Required?

Started by Williamsun, December 22, 2012, 01:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Williamsun

My OBi100 still cannot connect or add the device to obitalk. It is connected to a new Linksys e1500 router behind the cable modem. The router is giving it an IP through private IP addressing, and the power/status lights are correct and the only telephone connected directly to it seems normal, but it still won't connect to the outside world.

I have been diagnosing the network issues and it appears the OBi100 has to "steal" my single external IP number from my ISP to work, but then I can't 'also' get on the Internet with my computer to register it. That was as close to getting it working as I have come since I bought it 2 months ago.

Help please

Rick

Quote from: Williamsun on December 22, 2012, 01:20:10 AM
My OBi100 still cannot connect or add the device to obitalk. It is connected to a new Linksys e1500 router behind the cable modem. The router is giving it an IP through private IP addressing, and the power/status lights are correct and the only telephone connected directly to it seems normal, but it still won't connect to the outside world.

I have been diagnosing the network issues and it appears the OBi100 has to "steal" my single external IP number from my ISP to work, but then I can't 'also' get on the Internet with my computer to register it. That was as close to getting it working as I have come since I bought it 2 months ago.

Help please

No external IP is required.  Nearly all installs require no router tweaks.  I suggest that since it's been two months you put in an OBi support request, your unit may have other issues.

Williamsun

Sure thing. I'll call them on my VoIP.  ;D
I can't add the OBi numbers on the bottom of the unit manually on the OBiTalk website, it has to be done through a callback. My GoogleVoice is setup, and I have made a couple of calls through my computer.

The OBi100 accepts the internal (private) IP address from the router DHCP - I have pinged it from my computer so I know it's there. I opened up the in-coming port UDP 10000 and even added the OpenDNS and GoogleDNS numbers to the router, still no help. When I dial **9 222 222 222 from the only phone hooked to it, all I hear is the error message. The only time it seemed to communicate was when I forced it to steal my external IP for my cable modem.

(A lot of the two months has been ordering different adapters and cables to try to hook the OBi through the other USB modem port. Of course that didn't work either.)

Rick

Quote from: Williamsun on December 22, 2012, 08:25:11 AM
Sure thing. I'll call them on my VoIP.  ;D
I can't add the OBi numbers on the bottom of the unit manually on the OBiTalk website, it has to be done through a callback. My GoogleVoice is setup, and I have made a couple of calls through my computer.

The OBi100 accepts the internal (private) IP address from the router DHCP - I have pinged it from my computer so I know it's there. I opened up the in-coming port UDP 10000 and even added the OpenDNS and GoogleDNS numbers to the router, still no help. When I dial **9 222 222 222 from the only phone hooked to it, all I hear is the error message. The only time it seemed to communicate was when I forced it to steal my external IP for my cable modem.

(A lot of the two months has been ordering different adapters and cables to try to hook the OBi through the other USB modem port. Of course that didn't work either.)

You don't call them, you fill out a support ticket.  http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm.php

Williamsun

I was joking. But thanks.

QBZappy

Williamsun,

Holy cow 2 months?

You need to press **5 from a phone attached to the unit to get it registered to the OBiTALK portal. BTW all the sip/GV services (less the OBiTALK service, I think) work without needing to be registered on the portal.

If you are getting an intenal ip you are halfway there.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

Forward the ports listed in the FAQ below to your OBI or put your obis internally assigned IP in the DMZ and see if it works.  Port forwarding is more secure then putting it in the DMZ.
http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html#ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router
Long live our new ObiLords!

Williamsun

Quote from: QBZappy on December 22, 2012, 10:20:15 AM
Williamsun,

Holy cow 2 months?

You need to press **5 from a phone attached to the unit to get it registered to the OBiTALK portal. BTW all the sip/GV services (less the OBiTALK service, I think) work without needing to be registered on the portal.

If you are getting an intenal ip you are halfway there.
Two months of mostly waiting for ordered special adapters and cables to get here, to run it off the auxiliary USB port of the modem. I could never get a power/status light for the modem, and my ISP says duh. So I bought the Linksys e1500 router. That's where I'm at now.

Hmm. All the installation instructions state that registering with the portal is number 2 or 3 on the list. I need to go to the website to get the callback number, but even though it gets an internal IP address it won't dial out. Dialing the **9 222 222 222 verifies that. Don't you need to go through the portal to get an outside connect to dial someone? If you wanted to call the number (123) 456-7890, what would you dial?

giqcass: The primary network that it's connect to on the router allows all outgoing, so I shouldn't need to open TCP ports xxxx, isn't that right? I did open the incoming UDP 10000 port. Wouldn't the DMZ be more restrictive? I'm on the Ethernet connections, nothing wireless.

I have yet to get a response for my OBi support ticket. Maybe soon.

-Thanks for the responses

lhm.

"Wouldn't the DMZ be more restrictive?"

No.

QBZappy

Quote from: Williamsun on December 22, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
Hmm. All the installation instructions state that registering with the portal is number 2 or 3 on the list. I need to go to the website to get the callback number, but even though it gets an internal IP address it won't dial out. Dialing the **9 222 222 222 verifies that.

It might be fun to be able to see the unit on the OBi portal, however just so you know, the ATA itself is fully functional without ever having to register on the portal. If you don't register on the portal you cut yourself off any of the OBiTALK services such as  calling other OBis or the OBi echo test. Basically anything that requires **9 prefix dialing. Anything SIP or GV will still work. I'm certain a fair number of people don't use the **9 dialing in their normal calling activities. It may not be important to you. Having said that, there is no technical reason that you should not be able to register on the portal if you would like to avail yourself of the OBiTALK services.

Quote from: Williamsun on December 22, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
Don't you need to go through the portal to get an outside connect to dial someone? If you wanted to call the number (123) 456-7890, what would you dial?

I can see you need a voip 101 lesson. Calls to telephone numbers are handled by the accts that you will eventually set up in SP1 and SP2(sip or GV accts). Portal or web unit configuration achieves the same end result.

Quote from: Williamsun on December 22, 2012, 08:25:11 AM
When I dial **9 222 222 222 from the only phone hooked to it, all I hear is the error message.

I don't think that the unit is registered at this point. In this case you should not expect to reach the OBi echo test. You mentioned at some point that you are expecting a callback call. The only callback verification call you will get is from GV, not from Obihai. To register the unit you need to dial **5 from a phone attached to the OBi and type in the phone pad what ever numbers you will hear said on the phone.

Here is a tuturial which should help you.
http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1-OBiTALK.html
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Williamsun

I'll try to sift through all of this tomorrow and try to get some kind of outside access, and go from there.

I'll be bok with way more questions than I can answer tomorrow. I appreciate the newbie steps too, because the only instructions I have to go by came with the unit and this site.

I appreciate y'all's responses. All of this VoIP is brand new to me. -Thanks

Williamsun

Well, you're right. I don't fully understand VoIP yet as I am totally new to it. I do understand networking though. In the router I added the OBi100 to the DMZ with UDP 10000 open (per the OBi help page) and gave it a static IP assignment by mac address so I know for sure what IP it has and that it is working. (It's listed in the DHCP table.) The green led power light is constant indicating it has an IP address. But whether I call the self test number or an outside number, I get the error message "no service available". The same thing registering on the portal. I dial the number listed on the website and the OBi says "number sent to service", and the web page times out. I have a google voice account, but that does me no good until this unit is functional. Dial **5 gives me a busy signal. Dialing any local number by area code gives me a "service not available" message.

So how do I get it working?

hwittenb

It sounds like your router's firewall is blocking some packets.  If you have problems, OBi and most everyone else suggests turning off SIP ALG in the router's firewall.  The Linksys E-Series User Guide says the router has this feature.  I would check to make sure it is off. 

The router also has a number of other "security" settings in the firewall.

http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1019511888.pdf

Williamsun

Maybe, but I can't imagine what. I've tried it with and without SIP ALG and it makes no difference on mine. All of the security stuff (encryption and all) is wireless related. I'm not using anything wireless. All this is through the Ethernet ports. I have turned off the filtering for the Ident port tcp-113 (allowing it) and for random Internet requests that is set to filtered by default. The router is as permissive as it gets now. Which is still no help.

lhm.

Stick a paper clip in it. Start over.   :P

Rick

Have you tried unplugging everything from the router except for the OBi?

QBZappy

Williamsun,

Stick that OBi directly to the modem, and see if the OBi likes it that way.

Then you will know if the router is suspect.

Williamsun

haha There are a couple of main points that people don't seem to be hearing.
It's setup with an IP number when I try to add a device on the OBi web page that lists the number to dial **5 xxxx it should not be blocked at the router because all out-going traffic is allowed. I hear a 'number has been sent to the server' then the web page times out, and nothing is added.

Consider this: Through an adjacent Ethernet port is my dedicated Linux Firewall/Gateway (works fine). Behind that is a LAN that contains an admin engineering design station, file server station, print server station, and a manual drafting board. -- All of this flowing in and out in a normal manner through the Ethernet port right beside the Ethernet port I have the OBi100 connected to on the e1500 router. So if the router was blocking certain or specific things for the OBi, I would also see the results of those effect on the next port over going in and out of my LAN. - It works perfectly, including video and radio streams.

Btw, I got the same bad results with the fresh out-of-the-box default OBi install.

My point is, this should show the router flows traffic in and out without errors,,, except for this one little VoIP box from hell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping someone would recognize so of my clumsy descriptions and chime with a fix or a workaround.

Rick

In solving issues like these, eliminating all possible conflicts is always a step in resolving things.  What you THINK should work is not relevant until you prove it.  Unplug everything but OBi from router, then turn off modem, router, OBi.  Turn on modem, wait at least 3 minutes.  Then router, wait 3 minutes, then OBi.  If it doesn't work, THEN you have facts.

Next step would be to remove router as QBZappy suggests, turning off and rebooting modem and then OBi.

If either works, you learn something.  If neither works, you ALSO learn something.

Williamsun

I tried that before I ever joined this forum. Go back read my very first post in this thread.  ::)

It only seemed to try to work at all when I forced it to steal my single IP external number from my ISP, only then I couldn't get online with my computer to get a dial-in number from the website to register this device. Everybody kept telling me it works with an internal IP number so that's what I've been working with in this forum. So, back to square 1.