News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

make obi100 ring on my cell??

Started by Lina, December 22, 2012, 12:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lina

How do I configure it so that my cell will also ring? Does my obiapp have to always be running to receive these calls?

Also, How would I configure forwarding my obi phone # to another #??

Thanks,

Lina

Rick

Quote from: Lina on December 22, 2012, 12:31:50 PM
How do I configure it so that my cell will also ring? Does my obiapp have to always be running to receive these calls?

Also, How would I configure forwarding my obi phone # to another #??

Thanks,

Lina

GV allows you to ring multiple phones, including your cell.

The Admin guide shows you how to enable Call Forwarding under multiple conditions - all calls, only when busy, only when no answer - http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm

Lina

So only with google voice can you receive simultaneous calls then??

Yes, I've read that 202 pg confusing crappy manual, which gives you codes to configure it, but doesn't tell you where to enter this configuration!?!

If I forward to my cell when I'm out, then I'll have re-configure everytime I get back home, so that's why I just wanted them to ring on both ends.

???

Rick

Quote from: Lina on December 22, 2012, 04:44:41 PM
So only with google voice can you receive simultaneous calls then??

Yes, I've read that 202 pg confusing crappy manual, which gives you codes to configure it, but doesn't tell you where to enter this configuration!?!

If I forward to my cell when I'm out, then I'll have re-configure everytime I get back home, so that's why I just wanted them to ring on both ends.

???

I don't know what other VoIP providers do as far as ringing multiple phones. GV can do many phones at once.

You type in the codes after picking up the phone for the OBi to forward, then undo it when you return.

Lina

Thanks again Rick,

One other quick question...Do you know if calls WITHIN Canada alone are free? - with GV
I only need calling within Ontario really, and never make or receive calls elsewhere.
Would there be a difference compared to what is currently free for Canada "and the US"??

Lina

Rick

I have no idea of the Canadian rules for GV, sorry.  I suggest you utilize the GV forums.

ipse

Quote from: Lina on December 22, 2012, 08:23:29 PM
One other quick question...Do you know if calls WITHIN Canada alone are free? - with GV
I only need calling within Ontario really, and never make or receive calls elsewhere.
Would there be a difference compared to what is currently free for Canada "and the US"??
I am in Ontario too and can confirm NORTH AMERICA calls are free - Canada included. Used GV quite a lot while setting up Obi and my cell - and I have zero dollars in my GV account.
If you only need Canada LD, you can always look into Fongo as they have a better Android app. No free calls to US tho' - so I don't bother. Vonage for Android is also free for now (whole NA).
I listed all as I don't know if you only need to make calls using Obi or wanna be mobile too.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

Lina

HI,

Yeah I know about the fongo app - I have it!
But sometimes the app causes my phone to just die in the middle of calls. Fongo is the same as freephoneline.ca and I use them for my house # but am thinking of moving it over to Anveo because the quality and consistency sucks! - same as the fongo app. Works great when it does - but that's IF it does.

Lina

Oh and I forgot...

I DO want to use obi as well as my cell - but just use ONE number. With the fongo app - you can't port this # so I will have to use one for the app and another for home.
With the GV I can use just one number, but what happens when calls are no longer offeedr for free within Canada - then what?...I'll have to reconfigure once again, and give out another # again!?

soo confusing!!  lol

One number For incoming calls within Ontario,Canada is perfect with Anveo except for the no free outgoing...so then I'll have to use GV for that.
Any ideas for this configuration with the use of just ONE number and have it ring on both my cell & Home.?
Since the obi doesn't allow calls to ring on itself and cell simultaneously, I would be okay with using the forward on/forward off option on the obi with the Anveo # for when I'm at home or away.

Any Suggestions would be great!

Rick

I don't know how this applies in Canada, but in the U.S. my Verizon plan allows me to setup 10 "Friends and Family" numbers, which are non-Verizon Wireless numbers (since Verizon to Verizon is free).  So, if one sets their GV number as one of the ten, all calls made from your cell using Google Voice are totally free, no cell minutes used.  You can use Google's Voice app to do this.

Similarly, if you set Google Voice to display your GV number on incoming calls, and NOT the caller's actual number, any calls received on your cell are also free.

That plan currently requires you to pay for 1,400 minutes a month.  The 700 minute plan USED to give you five F&F, but no longer does. 

We spread our plan over 5 people, which you would think would make a big dent in the 1,400 minutes, but with F&F AND with our two sons never making "calls", we barely hit 300 a month.

Lina

Again,

GV for Canadians doesn't allow those options unless you have a U.S. # which will then allow you to use GV full fledge options.
My concern about this is:
what happens when GV is no longer free?....yet another config?!

Rick

Quote from: Lina on December 23, 2012, 11:59:14 AM
Again,

GV for Canadians doesn't allow those options unless you have a U.S. # which will then allow you to use GV full fledge options.
My concern about this is:
what happens when GV is no longer free?....yet another config?!

None of what I listed, except for switching GV from showing the caller's number or GV's number, is related to GV.  The rest of it is your cell company.

As far as what to do when it's not free, we ported our home number to GV a year ago, and if I ever have to port it again I will.  Again, I have no idea about number porting in Canada, Australia, or Greece...  ;)

Lina

I have come to the conclusion that the Obi100 is just like any other ATA adapter other than the use of GV, but if you live in Canada like I do where GV isn't available for your cell, then the like I said...

the obi is just another adapter!

I'm so peeved! The main reason I got the obi was for the one number accessibility, only to learn later that GV isn't available here. :(

Sure I can make my obi # ring on my cell # - but that just incurs charges on my cell carrier #, so what's the difference?!

I thought if I had an unlimited incoming calling plan with my carrier then I could simply make outgoing calls using the Obion, but that app sucks!!

ughhhh! what a waste of time! >:(

Rick

Doing research prior to buying is always good...

lk96

My understanding is that you want to ring your cell phone whenever your Obi receives an incoming call. If this is the case then you will have to edit the X_InboundCallRoute setting for
all the voice services you want to have calls ringing your cell #.
You can find this under:

Voice Services -> SPn -> X_InboundCallRoute
Voice Services -> Obitalk -> X_InboundCallRoute.

At the end of the string of that parameter there is normally a "{ph}" part. You should replace
that part with:

{ph, SPn(12345678912)}

If lets say you do the above for SP1, then whenever you get an incoming call on your SP1 voice service, it will ring your directly attached phone device, and it will also fork a call to ring
the phone with number 12345678912 and this forked call will be placed over your service provider SPn

The thing to keep in mind is that the number you specify for forking the call should include
any prefixes that your service provider may require. So if you use Voxbeam, you need to
add the "0011101" prefix infront of the above number.

You will have to set the X_InboundCallRoute for all the service providers you want to have
calls forked to your desired cell phone #.

I have been using this approach during international travel to ring my european mobile #, whenever
someone calls my GV #. It's extremely convenient as the US callers do not need to incur
international charges to reach me, and more importantly they don't even need to know what
international number to reach every time I travel.

L.

lk96

Forgot to comment about receiving calls into the Obion app.
What i described earlier was forking a call to ring your real cell phone #.
You can also fork calls to more than two destinations. So one of the destinations
can be an Obi #.

In the case you want to receive the call over your Obion app,
you'll need to have either Wifi connectivity or good 3G data connectivity and the Obion
app has to be running. In Androids, the Obion app doesn't have to be in the foreground.
But in iOS devices, I believe that the Obion app will have to be running in the foreground
to receive incoming calls.

L.

Lina

Thanks,
but these are the instructions I received by email from Obiahi:
1.   Log in to OBiTALK and go to expert configuration.
2.   Under Voice Service  SP1 Service, change the InboundCallRoute to:    SP1(7058816500),ph
3.   Click on "Submit".
Note that you will have to uncheck "OBiTALK Settings" and uncheck "Device Default"
so you can change the value of parameters.
Once the above is done, your OBi and cell phone will both ring when someone calls your Anveo number.

It worked, but I only had one number then. Now I have an sp2 and I tried the same thing but it doesn't work now.???...Either way, I didn't know that we could have our Obion ring on my Android and would really prefer that.

Can you give me step by step instructions on how I can have my obion# ring along with my obiphone at home?

Would this mean that I will bybass my cell carrier and be charged by my Anveo # instead? That would be great!

Thanks

lk96

It's not clear from what you said, what the problem is after you enabled SP2?
You tried to setup a similar "fork" rule for incoming calls on SP2? and when you
receive calls on SP2, the call doesn't ring your cell phone?

Or you are saying that when you enabled SP2, the call forking you had previously setup
for SP1 stopped working?

who is the provider for SP1 and who is the provider for SP2?

Regarding the question about costing and who carries your call. In the case you use
the Obion app, the leg of the call setup between your Obi and your Obion app is free.
However, I don't know if the service provider you use for your incoming calls into your
SPx service charges you for incoming calls or not. If you SPx is Google voice for example,
then the incoming call would be free as well.

To send a call to your Obion app you have to add the term: PP(123456789) to the line item
#2 you showed in your message, where "123456789" is the Obitalk # of your Obion app.

Lina

Never mind the sp2 configs and all. This is incredibly confusing enough. I just want my Obion # to ring as well as my phone at home.

I appreciate the help but I still need step by step instructions - I wish they had the manual set up that way! ughhh!!!!!!!! >:(

Where would I add that line? inside the brackets? outside after the "ph"...where??? ???

Lina

Quote from: Rick on December 29, 2012, 03:29:12 PM
Doing research prior to buying is always good...

Rick, as a Senior member in here I would think that you could offer help that others are giving me instead of making stupid remarks like that.
Nowhere in Obihai's advertising will they ever tell people that it's incredibly confusing to learn how to configure this thing!
:P