News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Suggestion for web portal config

Started by M105, March 25, 2011, 08:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M105

I like the new expert tool for the web portal!  I had initially tried the web method but decided to do it manually so I could use my own digimaps and SIP setup for SP2.  With the new capabilities, the portal is now a viable option.

What I have in mind is being able to 'administer' a couple of OBi110s for family members who do not live nearby which means I do not have physical access to their devices.  The new expert mode appears to make that possible but I would like one more feature...

I would like to be able to make a device "inactive" from the web portal without deleting it completely.  In other words I could configure the device, save the changes, and then inactivate it on the portal.  It would hold the changes made through the web portal and continue to operate but would not respond to any new changes done via the web unless it was returned to active status.  As it is now, when a device is deleted it reverts back to the device defaults.

In a nutshell I want to be able to stop the OBi site from provisioning a device without deleting it completely from my web profile or clearing the existing setup.  Make it where I can turn web provisioning on and off without losing everything.

QBZappy

M105,

If I understand you correctly, I think you can do this by enabling or disabling the SP1/2 (putting a check mark enables the SP) in the following section: OBi Expert Configuration Section

Voice Service->SP1 Service = (remove the checkmark)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

M105

Quote from: QBZappy on March 25, 2011, 08:56:50 AM
M105,

If I understand you correctly, I think you can do this by enabling or disabling the SP1/2 (putting a check mark enables the SP) in the following section: OBi Expert Configuration Section

Voice Service->SP1 Service = (remove the checkmark)

No, I don't think you are understanding.  If I remove the checkmark you suggest that will just turn off the SP1 service in the device.  It will no longer connect to GV etc.

I want to turn off the web provisioning completely without deleting the device from my profile.

1. Add Device

2. Configure device through the web.

3. Make device inactive for web provisioning but leave it functioning and make it possible to reactive web provisioning at any time.

QBZappy

M105,

I think you want to change the Auto Provisioning under System Management on the OBi unit web page to "Disabled". Problem is that the OBi is remote. You might have to ask someone at remote site to toggle that switch on the OBi. Not so interesting if you want to minimize other user management of the OBi.

Another way to do this remotely allowing you total control of the OBi unit is to change port number on the OBi unit and point the router to the OBi unit using port forwarding. This involves a one time setup on the router. Using this approach the Obi Expert config method is redundant.

What do you think?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

M105

Let me try saying this a different way...

Right now the only way to switch from configuring the device from the web portal to configuring it manually is to completely delete it from the Obi Dashboard.  It is all or nothing.  Either I configure it through the website or I delete it and do it manually.

What I want is a way to switch back to manual config mode without deleting it from my Obi Dashboard on the web.  This will allow the user to switch between the web config mode and manual config mode without having to totally delete and add a device.  The device will still appear on the dashboard but will not be influenced by the web settings.

I hope that is a little better of an explanation.  Let me config it via the web dashboard then switch it to manual mode without deleting it from my dashboard.  Once I switch it to manual mode on the dashboard it retains its settings and can be changed by the end user if desired.  In the future if I want to change the config, I just switch it back on, on the dashboard and change it.

Right now, when you delete a device from the dashboard it is cleared and reset to factory defaults.  That is fine but give me a middle ground.  Instead of the total delete let me have the capability to switch between web and manual mode on the dashboard.

RonR

Quote from: M105 on March 25, 2011, 10:39:37 AMWhat I want is a way to switch back to manual config mode without deleting it from my Obi Dashboard on the web.  This will allow the user to switch between the web config mode and manual config mode without having to totally delete and add a device.  The device will still appear on the dashboard but will not be influenced by the web settings.
You can stop the device from being influenced by web settings by simply setting the Auto Provisioning Method in the device to Disabled.  However, any changes you make to the device will be overwritten by the current web settings when you later re-enable Auto Provisioning unless you first manually update the web site with all the changes you've made to the device in the meantime.

RonR

You deleted your post just in time.   :)

M105

"You can stop the device from being influenced by web settings by simply setting the Auto Provisioning Method in the device to Disabled."

Great but that defeats my purpose since I want to remotely configure devices for others.  I can't log into the http port locally since I don't have a 1000 mile long cable.  That being the case, I can't enable and disable auto provisioning whenever I want.  You want me to do it at the device and I want to do it on the web portal/dashboard.  That is my whole point and the reason for the suggestion in the first place!  I am doing my best to describe it...

All that is needed is a simple change to the website portal/dashboard that allows me to turn off the configuration information from going out to the Obi110.  A switch that turns off (or on) configuration information coming from the website to the device.

M105

Quote from: RonR on March 25, 2011, 11:25:08 AM
You deleted your post just in time.   :)

Yeah.  ;)   I was looking in the wrong place on the Obi.  See my other post though.  I guess I am making a simple request too complicated.  Hopefully the other post explains it better.

jimates

The other day when I was helping someone troubleshoot I wished there was an alternate login for the dashboard so I could check the configuration. At least a way to login to the Expert Config by itself without getting to the dashboard.

If you are going to configure units remotely why would you not want the configuration going to the device?

I have just started experimenting with configuration from backups but not having much luck. It seems when I backup and then restore nothing changes except the time settings.

M105

Quote from: jimates on March 25, 2011, 12:17:37 PM
If you are going to configure units remotely why would you not want the configuration going to the device?

The main reason I want this feature is so that I can delete the passwords from the configurations I have stored on the web portal.

It would allow me to configure someone's device through the dashboard with all information.  Then I could stop the dashboard from sending any more config information.  After that I could delete the password from the saved config on the web portal.  As it is now, if I remove the password on the web portal config, it gets removed from the device.

If I had this switch it would allow me to keep password info from being stored on Obi's server.

RonR

It appears that each time the 'Submit' button on an OBi Expert page is used, the OBi Expert config is saved to OBiTALK immediately instead of the changes being deferred like they are in an OBi device.  If the OBi Expert fully mimicked the OBi device and only saved changes to OBiTALK after all changes have been made (a Config Current / Save Required icon plus a SAVE button in OBi Expert which would be the equivalent of a Config Current / Reboot required icon and the REBOOT button in an OBi device), wouldn't that suit your needs?

I don't disagree that a global 'Disable Provisioning' option from the OBiTALK side would also be beneficial to have.

jimates

Quote from: M105 on March 25, 2011, 12:46:26 PM
If I had this switch it would allow me to keep password info from being stored on Obi's server.

Passwords are not stored on Obi's server. The password, if changed, is sent to the device on the next sync and then deleted from Obi's server.

RonR

Quote from: M105 on March 25, 2011, 12:46:26 PMAs it is now, if I remove the password on the web portal config, it gets removed from the device.
Is that true?  The introduction to OBi Expert Configuration states:

"When a password is entered and submitted via the OBiTALK or OBi Expert Configuration web pages, it is sent securely to the device (on the next profile re-sync) and then deleted."

Are you saying that every time you use OBi Expert, you have to re-enter all the passwords or they're removed from the OBi device if your make any changes which cause a profile re-sync?  If that's required, it's pretty awful.  I would have assumed that empty password fields would simply not be included in the profile re-sync, leaving the existing ones in the device alone.

M105

I think so Ron, if I followed all that.  :)
---
I actually just did a test with my own config and deleted the password on my SP2 account.  To my surprise it didn't get deleted in my Obi110.  I did it twice making sure I saved the config on the web portal.  I also rebooted my Obi locally.

So I could have been wrong. (it happens occasionally)  I may be able to do what I want to do without the global switch as you so aptly called it.

M105

Quote from: RonR on March 25, 2011, 01:08:43 PM
Is that true?  The introduction to OBi Expert Configuration states:

"When a password is entered and submitted via the OBiTALK or OBi Expert Configuration web pages, it is sent securely to the device (on the next profile re-sync) and then deleted."

Well I just learned something.   Thanks guys!  That is what the forums are for.

RonR

Quote from: M105 on March 25, 2011, 01:11:00 PMI may be able to do what I want to do without the global switch as you so aptly called it.
I still don't like OBi Expert not deferring saves until all changes have been made.  If you make a change that disrupts the operation of the OBi until one or more subsequent changes are also made and you get distracted for a time in between, the OBi could be left non-operational until you return from the distraction.