News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

cannot get IP Address

Started by skipro, January 04, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro

New OBi202 using WiFi had trouble losing IP address and regaining one. I removed WiFi dingle and just wired connected to Netgear DGN1000 modem/router and now I cannot get any IP address. ebooting does nothing. My router is setup with 192.168.0.x. The OBi seems to be setup with 192.168.10.x. I assumer it should have DHCP and pick up any valid IP address from my router. Contacted OBi support numerous times and their suggestions were no help. I contacted them with this latest issue and I have not heard back.

Felix

OBi202 in "router" mode has two addresses: WAN and LAN. In your situation WAN is on 192.168.0 segment, and LAN is on 192.168.10.x segment. You may also set it in "bridge" mode, in which case both addresses will be on the same segment.

If I understand your problem correctly, you can't connect to the device (you say "I cannot get any IP address" which I don't understand). The reason is that you are connecting from WAN side, and WAN access is by default disabled. There are two ways to fix it.

First: connect a computer to OBi's LAN port; if the computer is set to DHCP, it will receive an IP in 192.168.10.x range. You can connect to 192.168.1.1 and go to Router Configuration -> LAN Setting and set OperationMode to Bridge.

Second: if for whatever reason, you can't connect computer to LAN port, you can do the same through IVR. Dial ***0 and then 31#. The current value of OperationMode will be read back (I assume, it would be "router"). Press 1 to enter a new value and then 1 for bridge.

If you do want to keep router mode, then you need to enable WAN access.

skipro

Felix, thanks for response. I will try to make this clearer. I originally need to use WiFi to connect my OBi but I kept losing my IP address, possibly losing connection to router via WiFi and the unit constantly rebooted. The unit was frequently unusable. Got another router that I could locate near OBi to wire it. New router address is 192.168.0.x. When I wire to LAN, the device does not acquire an IP address. Rebooting unit does not help. Using same ports and cable connected to other devices they acquire IP addresss and work fine, therefore an OBi issue. If I put dongle in and connect via WiFi, I get IP address.
For some reason, OBi does not acquire IP address from router via LAN.
This is first time using WiFi with OBi. Seems like Obi is stuck to WiFi connection which makes no sense.

Felix

Frankly, this post confused me even more, rather than clarified. If somebody jumps in and answers - don't bother explaining to me. Until then, let me try to guide you.

The problem you are describing happens without WiFi, correct? I realize that there is also a problem with WiFi; but that problem is not in scope of your question? If correct, then any sentences describing WiFi are irrelevant, even though you are getting IP address through WiFi. If incorrect - then my next questions are irrelevant.

You plug WAN port of OBi into Router LAN port, and OBi doesn't get IP address, while other devices get IP address from the same router (I have no idea what you mean by "When I wire to LAN"; so I rephrased it in the words that I understand). Correct? And you are sure that it is WAN port of OBi, LAN port of the router, and OBi is set to DHCP. Please convince me why you are confident in all three.

Once you confirm all three (and only after that), find out through IVR what is IP address of the device and what is OperationMode. We'll go from there