News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Workaround for voicemail indicator on GV w/two-step authentication?

Started by sofakng, December 31, 2012, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sofakng

Today I received my OBi202 and was very excited but then disappointed to see that the message indicator (voicemail light/indicator) doesn't work with Google Voice if you have two-step authentication enabled.

I won't disable two-step authentication because I feel it's too important, so if I want a voicemail indicator do I have any other options?

I am somewhat thinking of creating a secondary Google account just for the purpose of Google Voice (and I won't enable two-step authentication) but then I'll have two separate Google accounts which isn't ideal...

I'm -very- close to canceling my POTS line but I really do want a voicemail indicator so I'll know if somebody left me a message, etc.

Rick

Many of us setup a separate account exclusively for the OBi.  I had no desire to give my Google access to any one.

sofakng

How is that working out for you?  Is there any disadvantage to doing it that way?

Using two-step authentication you create application specific passwords (i.e. for OBi) that you can revoke if any problem occurs in the future, etc.  It would also be nice to login to one account and check my Voice inbox, email, etc.

MikeHObi

A second account is workable, though it is a tad irritating to have to log out of your current google account, and then log back in to the obi account. 

don't forget, you can have google voice send you a SMS, or an e-mail message when a voice mail shows up, which can mitigate the issues with a blinking light on your phone.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Rick

Google allows you to log into multiple accounts and switch between them.

I let emails from Google tell me I have voicemails, just click on the link in the email to listen.

sofakng

I'm just thinking out loud, but would it be possible to get an incoming DID (I've seen them for as low as $2.99/month for unlimited incoming), and then use Google Voice for unlimited/free outgoing?

The only problem I can think of is that the outgoing caller ID won't match the incoming DID...

Lavarock7

With some VOIP services you can spoof/fake the outbound Caller ID.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

psuPete

Both Callcentric and Skype provide for user-configured (a process) to specify legitimate outbound CLIDs.  I am doing so with both so that my GV # appears.

Callcentric setup involves some sort of customer rep. support, but it is doable.

Pete

MikeHObi

Quote from: sofakng on January 01, 2013, 06:07:04 AM
I'm just thinking out loud, but would it be possible to get an incoming DID (I've seen them for as low as $2.99/month for unlimited incoming), and then use Google Voice for unlimited/free outgoing?

The only problem I can think of is that the outgoing caller ID won't match the incoming DID...

You still run your DID through google voice for incoming.  Set it up as one of the numbers that GV will forward to.  Then people still just call your GV number.  Then you setup that DID in our OBI so that incoming calls on that DID ring in.  But you keep the Obi setup so that outgoing calls go through the GV number.

sofakng

Hmmm, I think I understand what you're saying, but even if Google Voice forwards to my other DID, and it rings my OBI device, won't GV still automatically transfer to voicemail after a certain number of rings?

The problem is that I don't want Google Voice voicemail because the OBI doesn't work with my Google two-step authentication... (which is the entire problem;  the voicemail indicator doesn't work, etc)

MikeHObi

Quote from: sofakng on January 02, 2013, 07:32:11 AM
won't GV still automatically transfer to voicemail after a certain number of rings?

The problem is that I don't want Google Voice voicemail because the OBI doesn't work with my Google two-step authentication... (which is the entire problem;  the voicemail indicator doesn't work, etc)

Yes, GV will still grab the voicemail.  did you want someone else to grab it?  I still don't see the blinking light as an issue personally.  You'll get notified via a google voice app on your cell phone or the message sitting in your e-mail account that you tell it to store it.

With 2 factor authentication, if you call your GV number, how does it validate you to access your GV account over the phone?