News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Both lines on the port 1 ring

Started by mveras1972, January 05, 2013, 09:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mveras1972

I have 3 Google Voice accounts on my Obi202 and I want to use them as 3 independent lines. All lines connect to Google just fine and they can call out correctly.

Line 1: home phone (SP1)
Line 2: fax line (SP2)
Line 3: 2nd home phone (SP3)

I have the home phone (SP1) and the fax machine (SP2) both connected to port Phone 1 in the back of the Obi202. I am using a special splitter that divides the two lines from the single port.

The 2nd home phone is connected to the Phone 2 port and that one works fine for both incoming and outgoing calls.

The problem is this: when dialing either the fax number (SP2) or the home number (SP1), only the home phone (SP1) rings, so I cannot receive faxes because the fax machine isn't ringing. All incoming calls to both the home and the fax numbers are going to the home number instead of them ringing independently.

Here's my setup below. I believe the problem is in the second row Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:SP1,SP2. Looks like the Obi is not allowing me to set the incoming calls to SP2 go to where they need to go (fax line) and it is forcing calls to ring on the home phone instead. Why can't I assign incoming calls independently on the same Phone 1 port? Is there any way around this? Needless to say, when dialing out from each line, the calls are going out correctly: from the home phone it uses SP1 to dial out and from the fax machine it uses SP2 to dial out.

Phone 1Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:Not ConfiguredSP3
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:SP1,SP2SP3
Voicemail Notification Alert from:SP1SP3
Emergency Service Call Routes to:Not ConfiguredNot Configured

mveras1972

Well, I just found out that if you call the phone number for SP3 it rings on both the 2nd home phone which is connected to port 2 and also on the fax line (SP2). This is very disappointing. I thought the Obi202 was designed to handle 4 lines. Looks like it's really just 2 lines. I feel cheated. What's the point of having capability for 4 SPs when you can only use two of them at a time? Unless someone knows how to get 3 lines working independently, I just think that is not possible. I've tried all possible combinations of configurations and there's always two lines that get mixed up no matter what I do.

carl

Quote from: mveras1972 on January 07, 2013, 09:17:05 PM
. This is very disappointing. I thought the Obi202 was designed to handle 4 lines. Looks like it's really just 2 lines. I feel cheated. What's the point of having capability for 4 SPs when you can only use two of them at a time? 
Obi 202 has been marketed everywhere as a 2 line / 4 provider. What is confusing on that? 
And there is a lot of sense in having 4 providers. Different providers have different national /international calling rates and provide different features. I am happy to have a choice.

Lavarock7

Quote from: carl on January 08, 2013, 04:49:47 PM
Quote from: mveras1972 on January 07, 2013, 09:17:05 PM
. This is very disappointing. I thought the Obi202 was designed to handle 4 lines. Looks like it's really just 2 lines. I feel cheated. What's the point of having capability for 4 SPs when you can only use two of them at a time? 
Obi 202 has been marketed everywhere as a 2 line / 4 provider. What is confusing on that? 
And there is a lot of sense in having 4 providers. Different providers have different national /international calling rates and provide different features. I am happy to have a choice.

The example that comes to my mind is a car that holds 4 people but only 1 steering wheel.

Perhaps the provider of the fax number (SP2)or the Obi can be configured to send a selective ring signal and the fax machine set to respond to that ring. Then the fax could be placed between phone 2 and the phone for the 2nd home number.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Ostracus

X_DefaultRing would be a good start set per an SP.

themessiah

I guess using a "special splitter' did not give it away ?