News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

missing entries in call history - strange behavior SOLVED

Started by rob613, July 24, 2013, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob613

I am prepending an update here.    If the phone port is set to not enabled then the call history doesn't record calls that rang in on PSTN but were neither answered nor forwarded.   The behavior makes some sense but is probably still a bug.

Original post continues with some irrelevant data trimmed out.

I have two Obi110's

Among the great features of the Obi110 I really like the ability to get a log of all inbound calls to my PSTN lines.   Since I have trunk hunting between 2 lines I needed a second Obi110 to pick up the calls that come through to the 2nd line even though it is rarely needed.

I also really like the ability to set an inbound call route to filter on the caller ID number and forward repeat telemarketer calls to a rejection line or other special handling.

If I look at the call history of the 1st obi, it shows all calls that came through and also shows the result of any special handling.   Looking at phone and line port status it also shows me the last caller ID matching the last inbound call.

However, if I look at the call history of the 2nd obi, it only shows calls that had special handling!   Looking at the phone and line port status shows the last caller ID even for calls that did not make it into the call history log.

I think this is a bug.

I'll also note that with two Obi110's on the same LAN it was initially difficult to distinguish which one was which by their device web server interfaces.   I think it is a mistake that there is no field to specify a custom name which the Obi would give to the DHCP server to register into local DNS.   Fortunately my colleague showed me how my router has the option with DNSMasq to specify a name to be associated with the MAC address for a given host and with that I can reach them by unique name.

Obihai: would you please add a device name field and confirm what is the correct behavior to expect for the call history?

Lavarock7

Is one phone answering the calls faster than the other. Thinking out loud that since caller ID on a pots line is sent between 1st and second ring, if a call is picked up before that information is sent, it might not get logged.

This explains why some calls ring once to the caller but the called number does not ring until second ring, so the caller ID info is available to a device to decide to route a call rather than deliver to a ring-able phone.

As for "smart telemarketers", they generally use a predictive dialer that just bulk dials. They could care less about how you might have your phone configured and since most people only have one telephone call capability, I can't see them wasting a second call whick might often not go through, when they can just call a second person who may give them money.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

rob613

Nope, the ringing is consistent.  A 2-line digital answering system.   When I used to monitor my caller ID with voice modems I found everything consistent between the lines.

There is one particular caller that seemed to be getting pretty insistent on getting through.   Time will tell.