News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Google Voice #s to 1 PSTN line & one cell phone?

Started by JeffDB, January 13, 2013, 10:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffDB

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what the OBi can do prior to my next purchasing decision.

I currently have a Sprint cell phone with a Google Voice number and a Vonage line for a 2nd business number. It is set up so that both my cell phone and landline (Vonage) rings.

The Sprint/Google Voice number is set to simulring the Vonage line. The Vonage line is set to simulring the Sprint/Google Voice number. I split the Vonage line so that it goes to the house wiring ringing all the phones in the house.

Would an OBi ATA be able to do the same thing if I ported the Vonage number to a temp cell, then to Google Voice?

As I understand it, Google Voice will not allow you to forward or simulring 1 Google Voice to another.

But I believe that applies to the Google Voice settings. Could an OBi forward a Google Voice to another "manually" (ie. through its own internal software)?

For instance, if I had a two line OBi 202, could one line be for my Sprint Google Voice number, and the other for a new Google Voice (formerly Vonage) number, and have the OBi forward or simulring the Sprint/Google Voice #? If so, I could split that line and hook it into the house wiring and have essentially the same setup I currently do... a call to either number would ring both the cell phone and the landlines.
----

Option 2...?

Could I set that OBi 202 up somehow such that both Google Voice numbers would ring the same PSTN line and the cell phone, and have a third Google Voice number for the family go to the other phone port on the OBi?

MurrayB

I have obi 110 in two locations with two GV numbers and a PSTN on each. They are both setup to fork all incoming calls to the other Obi110 via the ObiTalk Network causing each Obi 110 to ring. My guess is that forking is what you are calling "simulring". You could setup your Obi such that all incoming calls ring your house phones and your cell phone.

JeffDB

Quote from: MurrayB on January 13, 2013, 03:12:56 PM
I have obi 110 in two locations with two GV numbers and a PSTN on each. They are both setup to fork all incoming calls to the other Obi110 via the ObiTalk Network causing each Obi 110 to ring. My guess is that forking is what you are calling "simulring". You could setup your Obi such that all incoming calls ring your house phones and your cell phone.

Thank you very much for the reply and information Murray.

Yeah, I'm not up to speed on the correct terminology yet. Vonage called it "simulring" when they had it ring two different numbers for an incoming call. I'm also not quite sure if I'm misusing the terms "PSTN" and "landline". I was using those terms to refer to a line I can plug into the regular old telephone on my desk. I'm thinking, though, that maybe those are supposed to refer to an AT&T or similar telephone line. I don't have any of those. Maybe I should have said a VOiP line instead. Sorry about that if I messed that up.

In any event, from what you said, it sounds like I could get an OBi 202 with two VOiP ports, and have Sprint cell/Google Voice #1 ring phone port #1, and Google Voice #2 ring phone port #2 and also "fork" so that it will also ring Google Voice #1.

If so, that would be a viable option for me, and I think I should be able to hook port #1 into a phone jack in the house to make all of the phones live and able to answer a call to either line.

I wonder, though, if there is another possibility as well. Could Sprint/Google Voice #1 and Google Voice #2 both share port #1 on the OBi and also have Google Voice #2 fork so that it will ring the cell phone on Sprint/Google Voice #1?

If so, that would be even better in a couple of ways. It would only ring line #1 rather than both lines if someone called Google Voice #2. It would also open up a phone port so that I could set up a "landline" for the rest of the family.