News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 Choppy audio QOS setup?

Started by bhomatude, January 11, 2013, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhomatude

Here's my setup:

Time Warner Cable ISP: Turbo 20 down/2 up
Motorola SBG6580 modem feeds an Airport Extreme as well as the OBi100 (through 2 separate ports on the motorola).

The airport is hard connected to the main computer - wifi is used for Roku box and 2nd computer in the other room.

I'm using the Obi100 in conjunction with google voice and have a Uniden cordless 6.0 dect phone hooked up to it.

I get intermittent choppiness on nearly every phone call - usually it's the person on the other end who suffers the most. This happens even when there is no internet usage. I was reading up about enabling QOS but am unable to figure out how to do that on the motorola (I do have access to the admin setup).

A couple of questions: How to configure QOS on the motorola to allow the Obi100 it's 100% bandwidth and will that in turn affect my wifi streaming substantially or is it only affected when a call comes into the OBi100?

I would really like to figure this out rather than purchase the OBi210 which apparently has built in QOS?

Thanks for the help!

zapattack

QoS is a way of restricting internet speeds to below maximum, so what is left is used by the VoIP call only.
First determine your typical up/down speeds.
http://speedtest.net/
Subtract what you want to reserve for VoIP (say 512K).
Look in the modem for QoS settings and enter these new numbers for reduced up/down speeds.
Then Allow RTP and SIP (to ignore the above restrictions).

However, if you have a problem with NO internet traffic, QoS won't help. Troubleshoot by trying a different phone first.
If you have two computers, it would probably be best to stick with a separate (new) router as the OBi does not have wireless.

bhomatude

Plenty of up/down stream... I switched the phone and am doing some testing. This may in fact have been the culprit.

Hollywood

I have the same modem/router and was also wondering if you can set QoS? I seen it in mt Netgear router, but didn't see it in the Motorola.

zapattack

Sorry, did not notice confusion from first post: QoS is done in the Router, not the Modem.
If you are using two ports off of the modem, the Airport must be throttled to allow a little extra bandwidth to the other (OBi) port. No bypass settings necessary as the OBi already bypasses the Airport and can access all the bandwidth left after the Airport speed is reduced.
However, if the modem has one port, and the OBi is plugged into the router along with PCs, then the Router must be configured to allow RTP and SIP protocols to bypass the QoS reduction.

Felix

Motorola sbg6580 has built-in router. As somebody mentioned, you set up QoS in the router (that is, in Motorola). In other words, your question is completely unrelated to OBi. I think you will have better luck asking the question on DSLR VoIP forum.

Of course, if it's a faulty phone, and you already solved the problem... never mind :)

cvongugg

OK, I think I FINALLY figured it out, here's how you get to keep the firewall on and use the phone.

Log into your Obi device and in the set up wizard find your proxy server port (Service provider -> SIP).  In your Motorola router, under Advanced/Port trigger, enter that port number in all 4 boxes and don't forget to select Enable, reboot your router and you should be good to go.

Under Advanced/Options/NAT ALG Status, I did uncheck SIP, not sure if that made a difference but after rebooting it as many times as I did I don't want to mess with it any more.