News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New user questions

Started by Hollywood, January 13, 2013, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood

Hi,

I have a OBI110 with PS1 connected to Google Voice.

I also have an Ooma Telo who's phone line output in plugged into the OBI Line input.

At first I thought SP2 was for the "line" input, but now I am thinking it is for only a second VOIP connection. Am I correct?

I don't see too much info on where to config the Line connection. While exploring SP2 with "Generic", I seen a check box to always use that number for 911. Are there settings for the Line input to always use it's number for 911?

Second question, is it possible to call one of my numbers and have it ring the connected phone while also ringing my cell phone always (so you can answer on either)? I seen *62 but it seems to ring one, THEN the next, not both at the same time.

I seen a download for the quick start manual and the Administration Guide, but no user manual. Is there one? If not, the people on this forum have been very helpful, but I hate to bother you since a lot has probably been asked many times.  :)

One more quick question before posting, I assume I can have 2 VOIP numbers and 1 line number. Is there a star code to dial out from other then the default number?

Thanks for any help!

Felix

Hi Hollywood, welcome to the forum.

Since this whole thread is dedicated to "New to Using the OBi / VoIP" - it really helps when you give a summary of your question in the subject.

Quote from: Hollywood on January 13, 2013, 07:15:35 PM
I have a OBI110 with PS1 connected to Google Voice.

I also have an Ooma Telo who's phone line output in plugged into the OBI Line input.

At first I thought SP2 was for the "line" input, but now I am thinking it is for only a second VOIP connection. Am I correct?
What are you trying to accomplish? Your Ooma device serves roughly the same purpose as OBi - allows you to receive phone calls from ITSP (Internet Telephony Service Providers). Ooma device allows you to receive calls from Ooma; and OBi allows you to receive calls from Google Voice and any SIP provider, as long as you have SIP credentials (explaining what is SIP is beyond the scope of this forum).

Some people have reasons to daisy chain two adapters (like, Ooma and OBi) - but it is very seldom necessary.

Line port is for your "legacy" telephone provider (known as PSTN or POTS - like AT&T or Verizon). If you don't have any - that is, if you are fully VoIP - tape something over the Line jack and forget it. If you do have PSTN provider, then a wire would go from Line port straight to the wall.

Second question, is it possible to call one of my numbers and have it ring the connected phone while also ringing my cell phone always (so you can answer on either)? I seen *62 but it seems to ring one, THEN the next, not both at the same time.
You can set up Google Voice to do that (on GV website), but not OBi. OBi can transfer the call to your cell phone - but not ring simultaneously. GV does it easily, though!

I seen a download for the quick start manual and the Administration Guide, but no user manual. Is there one? If not, the people on this forum have been very helpful, but I hate to bother you since a lot has probably been asked many times.  :)
Administration guide is user manual (after all, what's user tasks? administer the device!). The admin guide is terrible; so don't be surprised if things absolutely don't make sense. That's what forum is for.

One more quick question before posting, I assume I can have 2 VOIP numbers and 1 line number. Is there a star code to dial out from other then the default number?
Well, you do start with Admin guide, though  ;)

Page 13:
When you want to make a call via a service that is not the Primary Line, you will need to dial that service's access code before the destination number.
The default service route access codes are defined as:

• ** 1 : SIP Service Provider 1 or Google Voice Service 1
  • ** 2 : SIP Service Provider 2 or Google Voice Service 2
  • ** 8 : PSTN Line Port Service Provider1
  • ** 9 : OBiTALK Network

Good luck!

Hollywood

Hi Felix,
Thanks for answering questions.

Quote from: Felix on January 14, 2013, 12:31:59 AM
What are you trying to accomplish? Your Ooma device serves roughly the same purpose as OBi

I have 2 numbers that I use and maintain. 1 GV and one Ooma. By plugging the Ooma into the OBI Line input, I can use one cordless phone system to receive (and place) all calls from both lines.

When I was experimenting, I seen a setting on the SPx generic profiles to "always use this number for 911". My Ooma has e911, so I wanted to always use that Line input connected to my Ooma to always provide my 911 service if I ever dialed it. Like I said, I seen that you can edit the SP profiles for this (although not on Google Voice), but I did not see a similar place to set settings for the Line input. Can I specify the Line device for all 911 calls?

I thought as much about the multi-ring question. I will use the Google Voice a few weeks to see if it's quality is good enough, then maybe port the number that I need to multi-ring too.

Thanks for answering all (except the 911 one) questions!

ianobi

Hollywood,

The default setting for the OBi110 is to send 911 calls direct to the Line Port. So long as you have not checked any 911 boxes in the sp setups, then the default setting will remain 911 calls direct to line.

Hollywood

Thanks! So far, it looks like this is a very well thought out product.