News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 goes offline

Started by joet, December 22, 2012, 09:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joet

I have been struggling trying to keep the OBi online.  I seem to have done everything right, support has run out of ideas, we have replaced the unit... HELP

It is configured, it works, but leave it alone for a period of time and it goes offline.  ANY IDEAS or suggestions?

Saige

I'm new to the Obi, but I'll ask a few questions...

- How long before it goes offline?
- Is it the same amount of time, every time it happens?
- Will it always go offline if you give it that much time?
- Does it happen if you plug it directly into your internet connection (bypass the router)?
- What type of internet connection do you have? (DSL, Cable, Fiber, Satellite?)
- How many other devices are plugged into your local network?
- Is it possible that another device comes online which identifies itself with the same IP address as your Obi?
- What kind of router do you have?
- Is it "stock" firmware, or did you upgrade the routers' firmware?
- Did you configure the router yourself, or did someone else do it?

QBZappy

Quote from: joet on December 22, 2012, 09:47:21 AM
It is configured, it works, but leave it alone for a period of time and it goes offline.  A

Are you talking about the green icon on the OBi portal? If so that is not relevant, since it doesn't interfere with the operation of the unit, except perhaps any calls using the OBiTALK service(**9 calls).

If you mean that the unit itself goes off line, that is a different story. There have been several people complaining what I suspect is a similar issue to what you describing. A detail which may have escaped your attention is if the unit goes offline after your ISP changes your dynamic ip to a different WAN ip. Others have reported that only a complete cold restart will make the unit function again (unplug/replug the unit). A unit web page reboot has no effect.

Have a look to see if a new WAN ip triggers this condition. If this is the case Obihai needs to fix this, as it is not normal expected behavior of a commercial ATA equipment.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

joet

Thanks for the replies.
First to answer Saige
No pattern on how long it will remain online.  It will be online 12 hrs or 1 hr, no pattern.  By offline, i mean the GREEN icon is off for SP1.  I can't make any calls or receive any.  the ***9 says "There is no service available".
I have tried the router, the switch a hub, but not direct as it will obviously bring down anything on the local network. 
The service i have is CABLE by Comcast (Xfinity).  High speed business line.  As for other devices, 4 PCs, 3 printers, TIVO, BluRay, Receiver, TV... a few devices are wireless too.  each has a static IP, i let the OHi go to DHCP outside the static range (192.68.1.1 to .199 static) these is using .202
Router is Netgear, the firmware was upgraded.  I have maintained the router for years.

FYI - in numerous conversations with OHi, they don't have a clue, the typical "try this and try that".  They sent a replacement unit, thinking mine was defective, it lasted about 10 hrs before also going offline

Again offline to me means only ONE GREEN Light, the power light, the Internet line flashes but the SP1 is green till it dies, then dark on SP1

QBZappy - i hear what you are saying about the OBi portal status... it does seem to match the unit itself.  If the unit dies off, the Obitalk goes to a amber/orange color saying offline as well.  attempting any call gives me the no service speech.

ALSO FYI - i have a STATIC IP address since it is a business line (home usage but business speeds and static IP)

a cold restart (unplug/plug) brings it back but again only for a short period of time.

Interesting thing also.  even if the unit is offline, if i look into the router for attached devices, i can see the IP address assigned to the unit.  i however cannot use my browser to access it.  if the SP1 light is on, i can access it via the browser.

Saige

Well, I freely admit that we often see things through the lens of what we're used to, and I'm no exception to this rule.

With that in mind, I have seen strange effects like this on other devices (unrelated to the Obi products) when another device comes online and tries to take the IP address of a device that already has that IP address.

You said that you're letting the router assign an address to the Obi by DHCP. Why not try a statically assigned IP address that is outside the range of your DHCP block (or perhaps outside the range of anything else you might have on your network which could possibly conflict with the static address that you assign to the Obi?

Should be easy to try, right?

ohtim

My Obi100 worked fine for two months, but now I have precisely the same problem as joet: SP1 says it's connected (to Google Voice), but the status is always "offline" in the "Dashboard" display and if I try to call (**9 222 222 222, or any other number) I get the message that there's no service provider to complete the call. I can get the Obi100 "online" briefly by unplugging power and then plugging it back in again. Please let me know if assigning an IP address outside the DHCP range worked. I don't really know how to do that, but can get someone who does to help me.

ohtim

The problem I reported above (reply #5) seems to have lasted only a short time. My Obi phone is working now. I had rebooted my router and my other devices had internet service so does the Obi service require Obitalk servers and is possible they were having problems? I still can't rule out a DHCP address conflict as different portable devices come on/off line, which is why it would still be nice to know if moving the address of the Obi out of the DHCP range provides a permanent solution.