News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

NAT Transversal - Expand X_PublicIPAddress to work from a URL

Started by N2VWZ, January 14, 2013, 11:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N2VWZ

Expand X_PublicIPAddress to work with an IP Name such as xxxxx.dyndns.org in addition to an IP address. (or add a new X_PublicIPName parameter)

My Obihai ATA operates behind a NAT.  I presently supply my WAN address to X_PublicIPAddress for unregistered direct IP operation.  Any time my IP address changes, I have to manually update the ATA with the new IP.

My router updates the Domain Name Server automatically whenever an IP address change takes place.  Manual IP address updates could be eliminated if the OBihai ATA obtained the WAN IP address directly from the DNS using the provided IP Name.

mayge

I second and third this.

If not this, gurus, is there a command that can be used to resolve FQDN

FQDN_resolv(myhosthere.afraid.org)

mayge

In service provider
ITSP
SIP
X_PublicIPAddress

I jammed in a dDNS FQDN.  

How can I determine it's not working as expected?  (other than syslog)

[I understand FQDN is _not_ URL]

examples:

your-awesome.domain.tld
obijoy.us.to

screenshot-OBI110-X_PublicIPAddress-(no-Rport).png

(click for full size, direct link no-ads)

site error "upload folder full", so ImageShack

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Mango

Quote from: mayge on August 10, 2013, 11:15:28 AMHow can I determine it's not working as expected?  (other than syslog)

I just tested this (fqdn in X_PublicIPAddress) with an OBi110 and 1.3.0.2774, with X_DiscoverPublicAddress disabled.  I made a test call via a SIP switch that does not proxy audio (audio travels directly from the carrier to the phone).  Though the other party could hear me speaking, I could not hear them (presumably because the carrier was trying to send the audio to a non-routable IP address).

When I replaced the fqdn with my IP address (or used X_DiscoverPublicAddress), audio traveled in both directions as expected.

MikeF1