News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

A hint for users of the *69 (Call Return) feature

Started by MichiganTelephone, April 13, 2012, 08:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganTelephone

I just wanted to mention something that may not be readily apparent to most Obihai users.  When you return a call using *69, the default behavior is to return the call using the same Service Provider that the call came in on.  This may be desirable behavior for some users, but in my case it was not.  I wanted the returned call to follow the same rules as if I had dialed the number directly on the phone, without using *69.

After communicating with Obihai support, I discovered that this behavior is controlled by the PHONE Port | CallReturnDigitMaps setting. By default, the setting is one of the following:

OBi100:
{pli:(xx.)},{sp1:(<**1>xx.)},{sp2:(<**2>xx.)},{pp:(<**9>xx.)}

OBi110:
{pli:(xx.)},{sp1:(<**1>xx.)},{sp2:(<**2>xx.)},{li:(<**8>xx.)},{pp:(<**9>xx.)}

OBi202 (both PHONE ports):
{pli:(xx.)},{sp1:(<**1>xx.)},{sp2:(<**2>xx.)},{sp3:(<**3>xx.)},{sp4:(<**4>xx.)},{pp:(<**9>xx.)}

Obihai support says that the default of this is to add the dial prefix to force the call return from the same service the call is received.  So I would ASSUME that if you wanted calls that arrive on, say, sp2 to be returned on sp1, you could change the sp2 rule from {sp2:(<**2>xx.)} to {sp2:(<**1>xx.)} (BUT I did not test that assumption). Unfortunately, the OBi Device Administration Guide only has this to say about the CallReturnDigitMaps setting:

QuoteCall Return is the service where the user can call the last caller by dialing a star code (*69 by default). OBi device implements this service by remebering(sic) the number of the last caller in memory. However the stored information does not include any dialing prefix to tell the device which voice service to use to call back the last caller. This list of digit maps serve the purpose of mapping a caller's number to one that includes the desired dialing prefix used exclusively for call return service.

But there is nothing explicitly indicating how the CallReturnDigitMaps are constructed, nor any examples.  However, what I discovered is that if you simply remove all of the existing rules, leaving the CallReturnDigitMaps setting totally blank, it will then use the OutboundCallRoute, just as if you had dialed the number manually.

I just thought I'd post this for users of the *69 feature that may not be entirely happy with the current behavior.

Another possibility would be to leave ONLY this rule in place:

{pp:(<**9>xx.)}

That would return calls arriving from the OBiTALK network back through the OBiTALK network (assuming you have not looped them through a PBX server first) while presumably allowing all other calls to be routed according to the OutboundCallRoute rules.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Ostracus

elocutionist

Just wanted to add my thanks and confirmation that your suggested change of altering the CallReturnDigitMaps to shift the outgoing call to your desired SP works.

I just installed an Obi202 with Callcentric on SP1 for incoming calls (for CNAM) and also 911 service, and SP2 is my GV account for outgoing domestic calls.

I changed {sp1:(<**1>xx.)} to {sp1:(<**2>xx.)} and now *69 of calls received on SP1 call back out through SP2.

Thanks again!