News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions before getting the obi110 or obi202

Started by PoorFella, January 12, 2013, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorFella

I am thinking about getting the OBI device. Still undecided on whether to get the OBI110 or OBI202. I have a land line. I have an existing VoIP provider which is due to expire soon. 1. My land line does not have CID. Would the OBI110 show CID with my land line? 3. Also can i use 2 Google numbers with the OBI110? i will most likely keep my land line for fax??. 4. The google voice number i have is also my email account. Will there be any issues with either device using my email while receiving incoming calls or using outgoing calls. 5. I would like at least 2 Google voice numbers maybe more? I have several Google accounts, some with Google numbers and some without. Thanks for any advice in advance for your help.

MurrayB

The Obi 110 supports a land line, referred to as POTS or PSTN. The Obi 202 does not. The Obi 110 will support two Google Voice numbers. One number would be assigned to  SP1 & the other to SP2.

PoorFella

Any issues being logged in to email during outgoing and incoming calls?

zapattack

Logged in:no
Sending large attachments: maybe.
Your voice may sound choppy at those times.
Try it and see.

Felix

If you plan to keep your land line (I assume that land line is PSTN, and not VoIP) - then I would recommend OBi110. Obviously, if your PSTN provider doesn't supply Caller ID, OBi won't be able to "invent" it, but it is convenient to have one phone for both PSTN and VoIP calls.

On the other hand, if you plan to have more 3 or 4 accounts (GV or SIP) - then you need OBi202, since OBi1x0 only allow you to register with 2 providers.

And if you want both (single phone for PSTN and VoIP calls; AND more than 2 providers) - you need 2 devices ;)

zapattack

The 110 does support additional outgoing providers if they do not require registration.
There are eight Voice Gateways which can be used for providers that give low rates to specific countries.

Felix

Quote from: zapattack on January 14, 2013, 10:27:05 PM
The 110 does support additional outgoing providers if they do not require registration.
There are eight Voice Gateways which can be used for providers that give low rates to specific countries.
True statement (all OBis have this feature, not just 110; and outgoing provider can only be SIP, not GV). There are some limitations, though... so for the purposes of decision making, it's almost better to ignore this capability (don't flame me; I put almost as a cop-out :) )

Ostracus

Agreed, it's one of the more neglected aspects of the Obi's Be nice if there were a local proxy that could register with the provider while accepting unregistered clients.

giqcass

Someone else could better answer this but isn't there a way to trick the Obi into pulling up Caller Id from another provider?  I think this would mean forwarding the call to the other provider to pull up the cnam.  There are better minds then me on here that could explain the possibilities.  Unless you are uber cheap CID can't cost that much if you really want it but do you really need caller ID if you only plan to use it for fax?

Personally I love my 202 but if you want to keep the landline the 110 is probably a better option.  Otherwise you would be looking at adding a two line phone or some other hack.  It would likely be better to get the 110 and then you can always add a 202 later if you wanted additional features. They can work together.

If you use QOS settings on your router other traffic won't often interfere.

If you want to switch your landline to a sip provider the 202 is a good choice and you can keep your existing number.   Be sure to read the threads about number porting.
Long live our new ObiLords!