News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question about using the landline with obi

Started by antun, January 16, 2013, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antun

Hi all,

I haven't bought an OBi yet, but am looking at getting the OBi110. I currently have landline service (AT&T). I wasn't planning on canceling it. I would probably be using Google voice with the OBi. I've read the FAQ, but am still a little confused about how the line port works:

1. If I connect the line port to my existing AT&T service, does that mean that my friends and family would still be able to reach me on my AT&T number? i.e. they dial my existing number, and the house phone (connected to the OBi) would ring?

2. If yes, do I need to have a 2-line house phone to support this? Or would a 1-line phone work instead?

3. If I have the OBi110, would I be able to make emergency (911) calls from my house?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Antun

infin8loop

Quote from: antun on January 16, 2013, 03:41:17 PM
Hi all,

I haven't bought an OBi yet, but am looking at getting the OBi110. I currently have landline service (AT&T). I wasn't planning on canceling it. I would probably be using Google voice with the OBi. I've read the FAQ, but am still a little confused about how the line port works:

1. If I connect the line port to my existing AT&T service, does that mean that my friends and family would still be able to reach me on my AT&T number? i.e. they dial my existing number, and the house phone (connected to the OBi) would ring?

2. If yes, do I need to have a 2-line house phone to support this? Or would a 1-line phone work instead?

3. If I have the OBi110, would I be able to make emergency (911) calls from my house?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Antun

1. Yes
2. A 1-line phone will work or connect the base station of a cordless phone system to feed 1 to many cordless handsets
3. By default 911 dialed on the phone connected to the OBi110 is sent to the line port --- in your case AT&T

Other phones in the house (if any) connected to the AT&T line should continue to function as they do now.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

antun

Thanks for your reply; I've ordered my OBi110. Looking forward to getting it all set-up.

MurrayB

Welcome and Good Luck - you will be able to do all sorts of neat tricks with the Obi110!