News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Interfering calls

Started by mellaby, January 02, 2013, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mellaby

If I'm on gmail on my PC and my Google Voice number is called, will the phone on the OBi100 ring or will the call go to my gmail on the PC?

QBZappy

mellaby,

Welcome,

The general consensus is that the last acct to register will receive the call. The OBi202 seems to be the only product that can receive calls on multiple registrations.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

mellaby

So if I drop out of gmail, would the phone start to ring or nothing?

QBZappy

If the OBi is the only thing registered and the X_InboundCallRoute has a 'ph' in it, the phone should ring.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

mellaby

I just remembered I have my Nexus 7 that rings on my Google Voice # when my PC rings. I can answer either one. Based on what you have said it looks like I would have to shut down both devices for the phone to ring.

QBZappy

mellaby,

YMMV.

In the past most (not all) people were confirming that only one acct could answer the call. You seem to say that you already can have 2 devices ring on a GV call. Try it with the OBi and let us know.

RFord

It should be pointed out that you have to be signed into chat while logged into your Gmail account for there to be interference with your calls.  In other words, if you logged into your Gmail account and sign out of chat, there will be no issues between incoming calls and your OBi ATA.

mellaby

QB, I don't have a OBi yet. The reason I'm asking these questions is I use my Chromebook on gmail and Nexus 7 to make all my calls in the US. It looks like this would not help me that much.

RFord, I'm signed into chat all the time because I make so many calls (see above).

mellaby

I received my OBi and setup went well to my Google Voice Number. I can keep my PC, Chromebook logged into gmail with google voice activated, and still receive calls on the OBi,but can't keep my Nexus 7 with Talkatone app installed. I tried powering off the Nexus 7 but the OBi won't ring on incoming calls. When I uninstalled the Talkatone app the OBi works fine. My question is: Is there anyway to keep my Talkatone app installed on the Nexus 7 and still get ringing on the OBi?

giqcass

The best advice I can give is to add a DID with a sip account then forward Google Voice to that as well. I use Sipgate one.  They give me a free phone number that Google Voice can forward to.  That number is connected to VOIP through their company.  Register service provider 2 on the Obi with the voip account they provide and the Obi will always ring.  Google Voice should remain active on on service provider 1 of your Obi to allow you to dial out normally with Google Voice.

Here is an explanation of a DID you will be using yours for incoming only calls.
QuoteDirect inward dialing service has similar relevance for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) communications. To reach users with VoIP phones, DID numbers are assigned to a communications gateway connected by a trunk to the public switched telephone network (PSTN) and the VoIP network. The gateway routes and translates calls between the two networks for the VoIP user. Calls originating in the VoIP network will appear to users on the PSTN as originating from one of the assigned DID numbers.
Long live our new ObiLords!