News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help: Always RED on power LED

Started by nathanyang, April 10, 2012, 08:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanyang

Today I just got a USED obi 110.

I connected a LAN cable to my Router (Netgear 3700) and then power on. What I got was only RED on power LED of obi110. I checked on my router side, the LED showed Amber (sometimes flash). I checked my router with "Attached Device", I could not find MAC of my obi110. So I thought the LAN connection was bad.

I tried to reset the obi110 to factory default. I Power on the unit, looked for the reset hole and Inserted a paper-clip and press for more 10 seconds.   But I could not see the power LED blink, all the time the power LED showed RED without change.

My obi110 is hardware defected? or not. How do I know this item is still in warranty? I just have the 9 digits OBI no. on the back.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: nathanyang on April 10, 2012, 08:28:24 PMBut I could not see the power LED blink, all the time the power LED showed RED without change.

That's bad - it means the unit is non-operational.  Two things I'd try before giving up:

If you have a voltmeter, check the power supply to make sure it's not defective.  You should be getting a solid 12 volts DC.  Unfortunately, the power supplies coming out of China these days aren't 100% reliable, so that would be the first thing I'd suspect.  Read the label on the power supply for the specs. It should look similar to this:

If the voltage is correct, try doing the hardware reset for at least 30 seconds.

If you can't make any headway try contacting support@obihai.com, but be aware that there's only a one year limited warranty on these devices, so if you bought it used you may be out of luck if you don't have the original receipt (also, I don't know if they'd extend the warranty to a second purchaser).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

Unplug the power supply
hold the reset button with a paper clip
while continuing to hold the reset button, plug the power back in
Continue holding the reset button until the unit resets (approx. 20 seconds)

jjtricket

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on April 11, 2012, 08:32:59 AM
Quote from: nathanyang on April 10, 2012, 08:28:24 PMBut I could not see the power LED blink, all the time the power LED showed RED without change.

That's bad - it means the unit is non-operational.  Two things I'd try before giving up:

If you have a voltmeter, check the power supply to make sure it's not defective.  You should be getting a solid 12 volts DC.  Unfortunately, the power supplies coming out of China these days aren't 100% reliable, so that would be the first thing I'd suspect.  Read the label on the power supply for the specs. It should look similar to this:

If the voltage is correct, try doing the hardware reset for at least 30 seconds.

If you can't make any headway try contacting support@obihai.com, but be aware that there's only a one year limited warranty on these devices, so if you bought it used you may be out of luck if you don't have the original receipt (also, I don't know if they'd extend the warranty to a second purchaser).

After my second power supply failure I came across this thread and noticed the picture shows the manufacturer is Hopeful Electric Co., how ironic!