News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 supports two OBiBT dongles?

Started by PaulC, January 25, 2013, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulC

When I look at my OBiBT device's web server, it reports not only 'OBiBT Dongle 1 Status' but also 'OBiBT Dongle 2 Status'. I have a OBiBT dongle in the (only) USB port, whose status is 'Connected to 'Paul's iPhone'. The second dongle reports a status of 'No Dongle'.

Does this mean if I were to add a USB hub and a second OBiBT, my OBi202 could be connected to two cellphones simultaneously?

Sorry for the obvious question, I've dug around here and Googled, but I guess my search-fu is low today.

- Paul

HardwareVersion: 1.4
SoftwareVersion: 3.0.1 (Build: 3722)

giqcass

I just did the update to that firmware and I would think it's a definite yes.  They have a specific hub they recommend for connecting multiple devices like the OBi BT and WiFi adapters so I would think it would also work well for that application.  This is good news.  Yeah OBi!!  :)
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

Wish I had a second adapter to test it with.

PaulC

Looks like Sherman's recommendation was for a usb hub that's 'well-regarded', and gave a couple of examples.

That's good advice, some of the cheap off-brand stuff is horrendous from an engineering standpoint. The time wasted trouble-shooting isn't worth the money saved. I have a little Belkin hub lying around that should be perfect (Belkin FSU304 http://amzn.com/B000NB2BGC ) since it has a couple of upward-facing ports.

I've ordered my second OBiBT, it'll be great if I don't need to purchase another OBi202.

- Paul

PaulC

Did a quick test, and confirmed the OBiBT dongle works fine when plugged into the Belkin hub, which is plugged into the OBi202. Now I just need to wait patiently for Amazon to deliver the second OBiBT...

- Paul

giqcass

I tested my BT adapter with the hub Sherman recommended.  It was less the $8.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q8UAWY/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I have my BT plugged in and a USB drive.  Works just fine and 4 ports available.

I do have a cheap off brand hub also.  I can confirm that one has an occasional hiccup connected to my Mac.  I did not test it with my OBi.

PaulC

So... it doesn't appear to be ready for prime time. Perhaps it will be usable in the the next firmware release.

The OBi202 does recognize both dongles. If you try to pair a phone with both dongles connected (*28), the disembodied voice tells you you can only do that with one connected. Unplugging one allows me to pair one phone, then I swapped OBiBT dongles and do the other.

The problem is, connecting one cellphone disconnects the other. OBiBT dongle 1 has a 'BindingService' listed as 'BT1 (OBiBLueTooth 1 Service)', but unfortunately the same binding service is also assigned to OBiBT dongle 2. I'm assuming there will be a 'BT2' service at some point. Perhaps there already is, but all the kinks haven't been ironed out yet.

Both paired phones are listed on OBiBT dongle 1 as well, even though I went out of my way to pair with the two dongles individually.

The OBiTalk web interface still only shows one bluetooth service, too. You have to go to the device's own webserver to discover otherwise.

So I suspect this is something they're working on, but haven't made any noise about because it's not ready yet.

- Paul

p.s. If anyone from OBiHai is reading this, I'd be happy to be a beta tester. My background: http://about.me/paul.chambers

QBZappy

PaulC,

Now that we have been introduced, can I get a discount on a Nokia. My Nokia N95 is starting to look long in the tooth.  :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

Did you try to pair using the direct interface on the Obi?

PaulC

I tried a bunch of combinations, not sure if I did try that one. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

- Paul

giqcass

I was looking at the dial plan it looks like you would dial **82 to dial out for the second Bluetooth dongle. **8 or **81 can dial out the first BT.

*28 makes the first BT dongle Discoverable and *29 makes the second dongle discoverable.  Multiple phones can be paired with one dongle but you can't keep more then one phone concurrently connected with one dongle.  

So the proper way would be to connect one phone with the first dongle *28 then connect they second phone with the second dongle *29.  There could be problems if both phones were paired with more then one dongle as they could knock each other off the connection.  Once paired they will try to automatically connect when they come in range.  It would be best to un-pair them and then re-pair them with just one of the two dongles.

I don't know if it's in the portal but this can be done via the direct administration by using RemovePairedDevice under
Voice services>>OBiBlueTooth 1 >>RemovePairedDevice1
Voice services>>OBiBlueTooth 2 >>RemovePairedDevice1

Or alternately you could set the following so they don't conflict.
Voice services>>OBiBlueTooth 1 >>PreferredPairedDevice
Voice services>>OBiBlueTooth 2 >>PreferredPairedDevice

If you don't have a second dongle installed don't mess around with the *29 stuff.  It can confuse things a little bit.  Better to think about it as two separate services rather then separate devices.  You can pair a phone with service 2 if you have only one dongle.

PaulC

Using *29 was the key, I appear to have each of two phones individually registered against their own BT service - i.e. BT2 has made an appearance :)

I haven't had chance to actually check out how well it works, but this is definitely progress. Thanks, giqcass. Where did you look to find this info?

- Paul

giqcass

I looked at the list of star codes on the device itself inside the web administration page.   ;)

PaulC

Quote from: QBZappy on January 30, 2013, 08:03:08 PM
Now that we have been introduced, can I get a discount on a Nokia. My Nokia N95 is starting to look long in the tooth.  :)

Sorry QBZappy, somehow I missed your post.

Nokia does give a discount for personal purchases by employees, but it's an unusual process. Basically the employee purchases at full price, and then is reimbursed for the amount of the discount, something like a rebate program, though handled like expenses. But there's some pretty tight constraints on what an employee can do with such purchases.

Sorry, not much I can do to help you out.

- Paul

Aviv

Quote from: PaulC on February 01, 2013, 09:17:22 PM
Using *29 was the key, I appear to have each of two phones individually registered against their own BT service - i.e. BT2 has made an appearance :)

I haven't had chance to actually check out how well it works, but this is definitely progress. Thanks, giqcass. Where did you look to find this info?

- Paul

Hi Paul, any success on connecting two phones with two ObiBT? I now have two ObiBT; however, I can pair just one phone at a time. I do have BT1 and BT2 showing; however, it can pair just with one phone at a time.

Thank you,

Aviv

PaulC

Yes, I do.

Use *28 to make BT1 discoverable, and pair your first cellphone. Then use *29 to make BT2 discoverable, and pair your second phone.

- Paul