News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

CallerID with OBI110 and Google Voice

Started by Hollywood, February 01, 2013, 10:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood

Hello,

I am confused as to the limitations of OBI110/Google Voice CallerID NAME. Are limitations for incoming calls on my phone display, or what the other person I call sees? (or both?)

I have an OBI110 with my old number ported to Google Voice, and Panasonic DECT6 phones. I also have an Ooma system with a separate number feeding the OBI110 line port to use for 911. In the OBI setup, the Google number is checked to use for outgoing calls.

On outgoing calls, my friends say the CallerID says my number and "California". I see a field in the OBI setup page for SP1 > Calling Features > CallerIDName. Would this field (or any other in the OBI allow me to send my real name out to people I call? If not, what would be the best / cost efficient way to do this? I seen service like listyourself, please point me in the right direction.

On incoming calls, my Panasonic phones store my contacts, so I see most callers names. My understanding is Google Voice only sends the number (TO MY PHONE), but not the name. Is this correct?

Mostly I want my name on outgoing calls, any help would be appreciated, but am also asking about if there is anything I should know about easy/quick tricks for incoming calls too. (in simple terms!  :D ??? )

Thanks!

giqcass

This might be due to the number porting.  If you did it recently it may take time for the various databases to be updated.  Ultimately the database of the person receiving the call decides what will be shown on the caller ID. No setting on your OBi need be changed as long as your phone number is being sent. "Listyourself" is a 411 directory and has no bearing whatsoever.  Most of the caller ID information is usually tossed out by the receiving phone company.  Then they look the number up against their own database.  I have been told this may work differently outside of the US.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

As for incoming caller ID see this post.  You don't need to set up the 911 and pay for it since you already use ooma for that.  You can ignore the 911 parts.  What is important is setting up the incoming call via callcentric an enabling CNAM on their system.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

giqcass

One more thing.  Have you made sure the ooma is set up as your 911 provider?  If you used the portal I believe it is just a tick box saying something along use line port for 911.

Hollywood

Quote from: giqcass on February 01, 2013, 04:50:12 PM
This might be due to the number porting.  If you did it recently it may take time for the various databases to be updated.  Ultimately the database of the person receiving the call decides what will be shown on the caller ID. No setting on your OBi need be changed as long as your phone number is being sent. "Listyourself" is a 411 directory and has no bearing whatsoever.  Most of the caller ID information is usually tossed out by the receiving phone company.  Then they look the number up against their own database.  I have been told this may work differently outside of the US.

So I do nothing for now and see if it corrects itself.

Quote from: giqcass on February 01, 2013, 04:55:33 PM
As for incoming caller ID see this post.  You don't need to set up the 911 and pay for it since you already use ooma for that.  You can ignore the 911 parts.  What is important is setting up the incoming call via callcentric an enabling CNAM on their system.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

So far, incoming CallerID has not been an issue as I don't get that many calls, and Google Voice has been 100% at blocking 2-3 spam calls a day!  :)  Thanks for this info in case I want to take up that service, or even drop Ooma for t callcetric's 911.

Quote from: giqcass on February 01, 2013, 04:58:55 PM
One more thing.  Have you made sure the ooma is set up as your 911 provider?  If you used the portal I believe it is just a tick box saying something along use line port for 911.

I understand if you use Google Voice on the OBI, that LINE is the default for 911.

Thanks for all of your answers! I'll keep monitoring the outbound CallerID.