News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

couple quick questions about using a sip enabled phone

Started by drakahn, January 24, 2013, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drakahn

looking at adding an extra wifi sip enabled phone, if i understand this corectly in order to use an obi device the sip service i need to use one of the sp1 or sp2 accounts to enable this?

currently using an obi 110 planing on using sp1 as my primary number however enable sp2 for my daughters Google account so she can use her phone to save minutes on her cell plan while shes here.

considering a wifi phone so a long phone cable wont need to be ran through the house to her room.

if i read the forums correctly i will need to add an additional obi device to have access to another service provider to enable all 3 services?

any suggestions on getting her the phone without the added wire needing to be ran?

hwittenb

Of course you can replace the current phone attached to the OBi110 with a multi-phone DECT cordless phone that will work throughout most houses.  With this solution, though, only one person can use the phone at a time.

A wireless phone commonly means a smartphone cell phone which has wireless capability and would use your local wireless network.  You install an app on the phone to communicate with some 3d party server.  OBi has OBiON for Android and IPhones which goes thru the OBiTalk network to access your OBi and bridge an outgoing call thru your OBi's SP1 or SP2.  There are also apps for the phones that access a Google Voice account directly without going thru an OBi.  Apps such as SipDroid, Bria, and the IPhone has its own GoogleVoice app come to mind.

lhm.

Buy a Panasonic DECT 4+ phones system for your home, as it will be about the same cost as one wireless IP phone.  ;)

Clive

If you use a wifi SIP phone, you won't be going through the Obi. A wifi SIP phone will simply use your wireless network to connect to the internet to its' own voip/google voice account, and not necessarily a smartphone.

Yes, you can use softphones on an Android smartphone or iPhone.

You can get wifi SIP phones but they can be a little pricey to buy.

You can use both SP1 & SP2 for different SIP/VoIP accounts but as there is only one phone socket on the Obi100, you will only be able to use one account at a time and only with the phone plugged into it. The Obi110 MIGHT be able to handle 2 simultaneous calls (perhaps someone else can verify this) but your wifi SIP phone will not be one of them for the reason mentioned at the beginning.