News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setting priority to answer PSTN when both lines are ringing

Started by satman, January 27, 2013, 08:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satman

I have an Obi110 unit.  Currently I have my GV setup to ring both SP1 and my landline (PSTN).  My landline is bare bones (without caller ID). so I need the caller ID from SP1 to appear on the phone.  Within a matter of seconds the PSTN rings..  How do I prioritize to answer the PSTN when both PSTN & SP1 are ringing simultaneously?
thx.

giqcass

This is an interesting question.  I would think the first call would always win but that is only a guess.  I can not think of a way to prioritize one over the other accept by controlling the order of the call or by having Google Voice hang up first.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Long live our new ObiLords!

Hoosier

I just bought a obi202 and have it set up for 2 lines. I also have a basic land line which i am keeping for my Wifes lifeline. I use my Google number  as my home phone number that we give out to others to call only using the basic land line for lifeline and dedicated  fax. If i were to get a obi110 would this let me see who is calling my land line since i do not have caller ID on it? Also how would i set this up? I have a third google number i could use. Also this would let me fax out without without paying long distance fees.

giqcass

The telephone company strips the caller ID out. What satman did is bypass the phone company. 

caller>>Google Voice>>Creates two separate calls
>>Regular Telephone line(still no caller ID)
>>Google Talk on the OBi(Phone number shows without name)

All phones connected to the OBi ring with two incoming calls.

Getting full Caller ID with name is possible but that is it's own post.
Faxing with Google Voice is hit or miss.  Search the forum for "fax"
Long live our new ObiLords!

Hoosier

So your saying that if i get an obi110 and set it up with a google number then connect my land line whenever some one calls my land line it still will not show caller id going through the obi110?

satman

Correct.  I have GV setup to simultaneously ring the landline and I'd prefer to receive calls on the PSTN port.  Because the landline is basic service, there is no caller ID information.  I need to set the Obi to answer the PSTN instead of of the GV line when both lines are ringing. 

Rick

Satman and Hoosier want callerid from their landline that they don't pay to pass that info.  Can't get it as Giqcass notes without taking other steps, discussed all over the forum. 

Satman wants a simultaneous call on landline and GV for the OBi to answer the landline.  I'm not an expert on all the fancy things you can do with an OBi, but I'd point out that the likelihood that both calls hit EXACTLY at the same time is near zero, hence it's a moot point.  And likely impossible to do. 

satman

Thanks, Rick.  You're correct.  PSTN calls actually hit a second or two after the GV (SP1) rings.  So if both SP1 and PSTN rings, the default should be to answer the PSTN line.