News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot call home from cell - goes to google voice automatically

Started by jhbObiForum, January 31, 2013, 11:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhbObiForum

Before getting the Obi device, I had been using the google voice feature as an alternative voicemail service on my verizon cell phone.  Now I have the Obi 110 for my home phone and it works perfectly.  I can make calls, receive calls, and Google Voice is the voicemail.  The only problem I am having is that if I call my new Obi home phone from my cell phone, I go right to the google voice voicemail prompt.  It won't ring the home phone

To fix this, I reactivated verizon voicemail on the cell phone and un-checked the cell phone under the "forward to" settings in Google Voice.  I cannot delete the cell phone because it says I need at least one physical phone.  As a work-around I downloaded Obion for the cell phone and now I can access the auto attendant which allows me to ring the home phone from the cell phone.

However, I just want to be able to call my home home from my cell phone without using Obion.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Rick

Here's the problem.  When you have your cell as your Forward to phone, and it's checked, and you call from it, then you're calling your home number which is told by GV to forward to your cell which then goes to your voicemail.  In other words, you created an endless loop which the voicemail then picks up.  Stopping the forwarding of the home number to your cell stops that, which voicemail you use is not relevant.

The easy fix is to setup a rule in Groups and Circles whereby when you call your home number from your cell it only forwards to Google Talk, i.e. the OBi.  You setup the Group or Circle in your contacts, then make the rule.

jhbObiForum

That makes sense.  I will try what you suggest and report back.

Thanks!

azrobert

Click on Settings.
Click EDIT under your Cell number.
Click Show Advanced Settings
If you have selected YES under Direct Access to Voicemail Click NO.
Click Save

jhbObiForum