News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I NEED HELP PLEASE. I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING ON THIS FORUM FOR 911 DIRECT CALLING.

Started by AngieA, January 29, 2013, 10:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lhm.

AngieA does have a point on :

Callcentric,

"911 - Emergency Services

Should I test calling 911?

No, you do not need to test 911 Dialing. If you have received an email stating that your 911 service has been activated, then 911 will work should you ever need it."

AngieA

Quote from: lhm. on January 31, 2013, 09:54:35 AM
AngieA does have a point on :

Callcentric,

"911 - Emergency Services

Should I test calling 911?

No, you do not need to test 911 Dialing. If you have received an email stating that your 911 service has been activated, then 911 will work should you ever need it."

Kinda misleading huh?   Thank you lhm. 

aopisa

Quote from: Rick on January 30, 2013, 12:00:57 PM
Azrobert:
Unfortunately, people get things like OBi's without understanding the nuances, which is why I go back to what I've said all along - the OBi is NOT a device that people should get unless they are technically savvy.  This is a perfect example - they get an OBi 110, are happy with GV, cancel the landline, and don't realize they then eliminated the ability to dial 911.

Right. I think Obi marketing is partially to blame here. They make it sound like all you have to do is plug it in and away you go! Free phone service!

I fell into this camp at first. Fortunately, I have enough technical tenacity to see things through and got my 100 set up correctly with an E911 provider on sp2.

I also keep the Obi dashboard and the Anveo site dashboard refreshed on my computer to make sure that everything is working OK. Since I am using a technology that is not as well established as POTS, I feel it is my responsibility to make sure E911 is there when or if I need it. Blaming CC or anyone else for failure during an emergency is not going to turn back the clock and make everything better.

MikeHObi

Quote from: AngieA on January 31, 2013, 10:10:13 AM

Kinda misleading huh?   Thank you lhm. 

I disagree.  It is only misleading if you do not understand that callcentric's configuration of 911 services has nothing to do with your obi talking to their service.   It only means that if your device dials 911 through their service, it'll get routed to your 911 dispatch center, and the dispatch center will get a proper number to call you back at.

Note that Anveo does have a service for $2.99 per month or $30 per year with which you will be notified when 911 is called, or if the SIP device goes offline (which disables your 911 service). 

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

AngieA

Quote from: aopisa on February 03, 2013, 10:49:14 AM
Quote from: Rick on January 30, 2013, 12:00:57 PM
Azrobert:
Unfortunately, people get things like OBi's without understanding the nuances, which is why I go back to what I've said all along - the OBi is NOT a device that people should get unless they are technically savvy.  This is a perfect example - they get an OBi 110, are happy with GV, cancel the landline, and don't realize they then eliminated the ability to dial 911.

Right. I think Obi marketing is partially to blame here. They make it sound like all you have to do is plug it in and away you go! Free phone service!

I fell into this camp at first. Fortunately, I have enough technical tenacity to see things through and got my 100 set up correctly with an E911 provider on sp2.

Oh absolutely.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I signed up for this, aside from the 911 issue, and boy did I get a shocker.  I had no idea there was a back end that I would have to manage.  Luckily during the year+ that I've have the device, I've had few problems, and this is my first time actually posting to the forum.

I tried to find my answers in the forums and fix things myself before posting, but after two days, I gave up.  As everybody now knows and have been told by people here in this forum, I have no idea what the heck I am doing, but guess what, I'm not afraid of the difficulties and I at least TRY to figure things out for myself.

Your quote from azrobert is from a post outside of mine, but he is happy to help people, he is an expert, and I couldn't be happier that he knew how to help me right out the gate, AND OBI SHOULD BE PAYING HIM AS A CONSULTANT.

So yes, I agree that because this is not a plug and play device, I would be hesitant about messing around with it, and you said a mouth full saying that obi does little to advise people about what they're getting into, and makes it seem like it's as easy as 1,2,3.  But, once the money is made, it's made, and they have the people in the forums to pick up the slack.  

As far as the E911 thing, please, that's a whole nuther story.

azrobert

Quote from: AngieA on February 03, 2013, 11:38:46 AM
Your quote from azrobert is from a post outside of mine, but he is happy to help people, he is an expert, and I couldn't be happier that he knew how to help me right out the gate, AND OBI SHOULD BE PAYING HIM AS A CONSULTANT.

Angie,

Thank you for the kind words!

Obihai,

Where's my paycheck?
LOL

AngieA

Quote from: azrobert on February 03, 2013, 04:11:12 PM
Quote from: AngieA on February 03, 2013, 11:38:46 AM

Obihai,
Where's my paycheck?
LOL

LOL - Yes, show him the money!  :D