News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 Issues With Call Quality

Started by Kedyl, January 02, 2013, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedyl

I have a 202 directly connected to the modem and one phone connected to the line one, and a wireless router connected to its LAN port (not much traffic going to that). I want to give maximum priority to the phone line quality, all the settings are at default right now. When a call comes in there's a delay for the other party to hear me. Line is breaking here and there while talking also. Are there any I can change to improve the line quality? I updated the Firmware to the latest but still have the same issues. Thanks a lot in advance.......K

Kedyl

I forgot to say I'm using GV. What I want to do is to give priority to the phone line with the current setup (i.e. Obi202 used as a router the way I described). Tks...

DaniHasThe202

Hi Kedyl,

I use my OBi202 with three separate GV accounts AND a fax machine--and, found that using a separate router works better for me...but, I found the following link useful:

http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506036

There's a lot of info...but, under the 3rd heading, "Physical Interfaces of the OBi Device", you'll see a link, "Internet Connection Set-Up and Configuration" that may clear things up for you???

BTW:  Just a couple of hardware suggestions if you DO decide to change the set-up:

I spent 2-3 days over the Christmas holidays researching all the different VOIP devices, plans, modems, routers, and even learned about DD-WRT and VPN!  I even spent about 30 min over the phone with an OBiPlus CSR who was very helpful. This is what I learned:

1.  Make sure you are using a DOCSIS 3.0 (D3) modem...especially if you are using a high-speed ISP from a cable company (Charter, Comcast, Time-Warner, etc.) vs. DSL...with your OBi202. The QoS will improve dramatically with the correct modem.  I just switched from DSL to Charter, and although they gave me a free D3 modem, I chose to purchase my own (Motorola SB6141) and a DD-WRT router (Netgear WNDR3700 with "DD-WRT pre-installed") from Amazon. 

If interested, check out the router from the seller's own website:

https://www.flashrouters.com/netgear-wndr3700-ddwrt-router.php

but, purchase it via Amazon instead, and you won't be charged shipping fees---though it's the very same Seller! 

Amazon link: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q4DGTU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Check out this link for a little geeked-out info on the importance of using DOCSIS 3.0 for better Quality of Service (QoS) with VOIP: 

http://volpefirm.com/blog/docsis-3-0/protocol1/     

2.  Make sure that you are using a digital DECT 6.0 phone.  It operates at 1.9 GHz, rather than the older 2.4 and 5.8, and won't interfere with your router.  "The new DECT phones are often confused with being 6Ghz phones due to the "DECT 6.0' label on the boxes. The DECT phones operate in the unregulated 1.9Ghz frequency, where devices have to negotiate amongst themselves for air time. Right now, the main advantages of the 1.9Ghz range is [that] it does not overlap with computer WiFi signals (2.4Ghz). DECT phones will have a better 'real world' range because of this, and won't jam up your home Wireless B/G/N router."

Reference: http://www.epinions.com/content_1277730948?sb=1

I already had the DECT cordless phones, but the purchase of the SB6141 modem, and WNDR3700 DD-WRT router (granted, a little expensive on the front-end) REALLY make the most of my OBI202!  These two hardware purchases have given me crystal-clear GV calls...and all three devices will create a net monthly savings of $72/month, which will allow me to re-coup the front-end expense in less than 5 months.  I'll be saving $865 per year by dropping Sprint, and my AT&T land-line.

My iPhone 4S is both jail-broken and unlocked, so I now use T-Mobile's "Pay-By-The-Day" plans.  I use their $1/day plan:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-by-the-day-cell-phone-plans

I really can't stress it enough:  If you are serious about using the OBi202 to it's full-potential [Hint:  Buy their USB BT adapter to use with your smartphone] make the investment in the proper modem, router, and DECT 6.0 phone(s).  The call quality is like 'night-and-day' with the proper set-up!  I cannot tell the difference between the VOIP clarity and my old land-line clarity.  It's THAT good!

Hope this helps! 

~ Danielle

zapattack

Do not confuse 'delay' with 'breaking up'.
Breaking up or choppy voice usually means a bandwidth (speed) problem.
If you have any type of high-speed internet service, the basic type of problem is having the bandwidth fully used by any PCs. If there is no other user, call clarity should be perfect. Test and let us know.
To prevent PC users from using all the bandwidth, you would throttle their maximum speed by setting Quality of Service in the router which would allow your OBi access to 100% of the maximum speed, but your PC users only 90% of it (for example).
When you say 'delay' do you mean the voice is slow coming in during the entire call, or not being able to hear for the first few seconds?  This second problem is usually a simple OBi or router setting.
Please post your router name and model. Some have know problems with default settings.

Chris_L

Hi, new user here.  Installed OBI202 yesterday and have had each phone call experience break-up.  It's like the line goes dead for a few seconds and then returns.  Typically when the other party is speaking and they don't notice anything unusual.  Seems like I miss about 2 or 3 seconds of the conversation.  My internet speeds vary between 14M and 17M down and stay constant at 1.94M up.  No other users on my home network.  Using Google Voice.  I read about using code 27 and did set my value to 1.  Still see this issue.  I'm using 1.9G Vtech phones and a 2.4G Linksys WRT100...don't expect interference to be an issue between the two.  I have not adjusted any settings via OBI Expert.  Any suggestions on how to clean this up would be appreciated.  

Configuration:
SP1  is Google Voice
SP2 is Anveo for e911.

Lan connection and one phone line connection.
When I look at the phone statistics I see two RTP entries.

RTP statistics:
Packets sent 149577
Packets received 143460
Bytes sent: 25726308
Bytes received: 24675120
PacketsLost: 904
Overruns: 0
Underruns: 6

RTP statistics:
Packets sent: 2607
Packets Received: 2326
Bytes Sent: 448404
Bytes Received: 400072
PacketsLost: 68
Overruns: 0
Underruns: 0

Cheers, Chris

Chris_L

Well, after reading lots and lots and lots of info I set up high priority QoS for the mac addr of my Obi on my router.  I hope this resolves my issue.  All of my calls thus far have been when only the phone was in use on my network...we'll see!