News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No diall tone after plugging SP1 into wall jack

Started by Obnewbee, February 15, 2013, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obnewbee

Just set up my obi202 with GV .  No problem getting a dial tone, making and receiving calls when I plug a corded (or cordless) phone directly into SP1.  Yeah! 

However, I thought I read somewhere that if you connect SP1 directly into a wall jack that all of the lines within my home would be powered up off of the obi202. 

My current set up includes voice service through VZ Fios.  Prior to trying the "plug into the jack method", I powered down my Fios controller so that there was no power on the lines from that source.  After confirming that the lines were "dead," I connected SP1 into one of the jacks in my house.  Nothing.  Dead on all of the lines within the house.  Even dead on the test jack at the VZ box.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help. 

Obnewbee

Thanks.  I guess my problem is that I still have an open circuit going back to the Fios controller.  Which is a problem because the VZ installer "hard wired" the incoming line into my home phone circuit with one of those multi-pin phone circuit assemblies. 

MurrayB

It would be a good idea to disconnect all the wiring to your phone jacks from the Verizon device.

Just post in one location.

Phillip

I bought a double jack plate and isolated my incoming U-verse internet on its pair and wired the other jack to my house jacks. So my gateway/router/modem plugs into the jack labeled 'internet'. My OBi1100 phone jack plugs into the second jack on the same double jack plate labeled 'house'. Now my FAX and two handsets are plugged into my OBi via the house phone jacks. I did have to add DSL filters to the FAX machine and the FAX/modem card on my computer to clean up FAX transmissions. Seems to work OK.
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch