News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi-to-OBi calls failing, dashboard offline, GV still works

Started by iambrent, January 31, 2013, 02:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iambrent

I have an Obi100 which works perfectly.

I also have an Obi100 set up for my parents which worked perfectly until this past week. Now it is showing as offline in the OBi dashboard and it is unable to place or receive OBi-to-OBi calls, and it is unable to complete a call to the Echo Test. However, incoming and outgoing calls on SP1 using Google Voice still connect just fine.

I went over yesterday and reset the DSL router and the OBi 100, and updated the firmware. Everything worked. Today the problem is happening again. Any ideas about what I can change in the setup next time I go over to fix it?

QBZappy

iambrent ,

Welcome

Quote from: iambrent on January 31, 2013, 02:18:11 PM
I also have an Obi100 set up for my parents which worked perfectly until this past week. Now it is showing as offline in the OBi dashboard and it is unable to place or receive OBi-to-OBi calls, and it is unable to complete a call to the Echo Test. However, incoming and outgoing calls on SP1 using Google Voice still connect just fine.

Two conclusions come to mind from your test.
1) OBiTALK service was down. (as proven by your test)
2) ATA functional as per your GV test

Analysis:
OBiTALK is down more often than we may realize. We can not expect 100% up time on this service. A strategy to overcome the reliance on the OBiTALK service is to have other voice services configured on the ATA such as GV, a sip account (commercial or free such as sip2sip), direct ip to ip from your OBi to your parents OBi. The last option is the most direct method avoiding any 3rd party points of failure of the voice service providers. Down side is that it requires port forwarding or to be connected VPN style (router<->router).
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

iambrent

I should have added that my OBi-100 was functional this entire time. I was able to manage my device in the Obi Dashboard, make OBi-to-OBi calls, and make the Echo Test call without any difficulty. These are the same things that I am unable to do on the unit at my parents house. I would not have concluded that there is an ObiTalk outage only affecting the unit at my parents house and not mine.

Thank you for your reply though. If I figure out what is causing the problem I will post it here.

azrobert

I had a similar problem where my OBi110 showed offline on the dashboard.
Deleting the OBi110 from the dashboard then re-adding it fixed my problem.

My memory sucks and I tried several things to fix the problem.
One of the things I tried reset the configuration on my OBi110, so take a backup of your config before trying the above.

Edit:
What it did was turn provisioning on, then copied the default config from the dashboard to my OBi110.