News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Automatic switch between trunks when one becomes unavailable

Started by NewY, February 01, 2013, 12:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwittenb

If you have occasional calls from CallWithUs then you do need to have the account registered because that is how CallWithUs knows where to send the call. 

With both adapters behind the same router setup to register to the same CallWithUs account perhaps if the registration requests are going on occasionally at more or less the exact same time there is some contention problem that gets your router confused when the sip packets come back from CallWithUs.

I would setup the OBi to register and set the PAP2 not to register (on the PAP2 set Register: No) so you don't have them both registering at the same time.  Sometimes providers will allow multiple registrations but usually they do not.  When they do not it is usually the last adapter to register that is current registration.

xibai

it looks to me the e911 setting QBZappy mentioned provide a solution. But it is more complicated then my situation. E911 requires dial different numbers with different service providers while here only same number to be dialed.

The "roll over" or "fail over" is what I mean by automatic switch.

ianobi, in my situation, the obi did not konw SP2 fails probably because I put in a wrong password. In reality, it fails due to unknown reason which can be only fixed by restart the router and obi together. It shows "retrying..."

In view of e911, what should i adjust with my obi? Having a PAP2 as backup always better.

xibai

hwittenb, that is probably right for some situations. But I am not sure it is the case here. Callwithus shows both obi and pap2 registration is in good status.

Before I use pap2 with obi. After using obi, i removed pap2. However, obi sometimes fails with callwithus. That is way I am thinking about  hooking pap2 to obi LINE as a backup.

ianobi

QuoteThe "roll over" or "fail over" is what I mean by automatic switch.
Yes, I did understand what you meant.

In my opinion, no "fail over" will work unless your OBi110 can tell that sp2 has failed. I still cannot see how your OBi110 can tell that callwithus has failed. So long as it does not know that callwithus has failed, then it will continue to try to send calls to sp2.

To prove the trunk group works, you could simply uncheck:
Voice Services > SP2 Service > Enable
This will show how it would work if you could make the OBi110 see that callwithus had failed.

I have to log out for today. Please have a read through all the ideas in this thread and try anything that seems sensible. I will be back tomorrow for an update  :)

xibai

Thanks a lot, ianobi. Obi is really fun to work on even though you can not get whatever you want.

Have a great day!

xibai

ianobi, I test the trunkgroup as you said. It works with problem. It automatically switch to LINE when I disable SP2.

I went through the post "e911 backup." It looks like a successful setup. The only thing is that it is more complicated than mine. I need to figure out what is need or not in my situation.

Thanks.

ianobi

QuoteI test the trunkgroup as you said. It works with problem. It automatically switch to LINE when I disable SP2.

I hope that you meant to say "It works with no problem."  :)

It does prove that the trunk group setup works exactly as you want. The problem that you have is getting the OBi110 to think that sp2 is in a "failed" condition when callwithus backs off. I do not have an answer for that problem.

It is well worth reading "e911 backup." We can all learn a lot from that post, as is often the case with any post involving RonR.

xibai

Ianobi,

It is "without problem". Thanks for all you help. My final configuration is setting up the trunkgroup2 with SP2 going first. But keep SP2 unregistered. PAP2 goes to line.

Thanks for all your help and have a nice weekend.